iMac / PowerMac (refurbished)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by whoisdan, Jul 13, 2005.

1. whoisdan macrumors newbie

Feb 24, 2005
    In another thread I was getting some good opinions about whether to get an iMac or refurbished PMac w/ a Dell screen. I think I've made up my mind, unless I can be convinced otherwise,

I'm going to go with the refurbished PowerMac and Dell monitor. I've convinced myself to go with the Power Mac G5 DUAL 1.8GHz/ 256MB/ 80G/ SuperDrive/ PCI/ GeFr5200/ GigE/ 56K - Apple Certified Refurbished

Dual 1.8 refurbished PowerMac

and the Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor,
    Dell 20" Monitor

AppleCare is $250. Should I get that? Is it worth it?

One more thing, will Tiger have any problems running on a refurbished PMac?
  2. Ryan T. macrumors 6502a

Ryan T.

Jun 13, 2005
    Rochester, NY

Thats a great setup. And no, Tiger will run better on that Mac than almost any other Mac available today.
  3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    There was just another thread a couple days ago saying you could get the monitor for around $460 or a search and find the coupon code.

I bought two of those monitors and they are great. You're going to love your setup. There's a (small) chance you'll get free upgrades with your refurbished. Good luck with that!
  4. whoisdan thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 24, 2005
    Nice! I just got the monitor for $436 pre-tax. Shipping was free, so $480 was the total. Not bad at all. Thanks for the tip. I got coupon codes at

So, do I need to get the $250 AppleCare for the PowerMac?
  5. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I would recommend getting AppleCare. It will allow for the full 3 years of phone support. Gives you feeling of confidence. If a problem does come up, it can often more than pay for itself.

I always purchase AppleCare for my Mac.
  6. whoisdan thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 24, 2005
    Hm. Can get AppleCare a month or two down the line?

Also, where are the best deals for 1GB RAM? Is one 3rd party brand better than an other?
  7. dylomel macrumors member

Nov 26, 2004

i think getting applecare just to be safe would be a good idea
  8. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Buy AppleCare - it could turn out to be money well, well spent. Nice Power Mac G5 btw.
  9. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    You should be able to order AppleCare anytime before the included warranty expires. As for RAM, I prefer Crucial memory for Mac.