Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPlm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
Sofia
Hello everyone,

I have some serious problems with my iMac that I've been experiencing for a long time now, but they're really getting on my nerves now!

I have a 2006 20" iMac (the last revision of the white ones before the aluminum redesign), 2.16 GHz, 2 GB ram, 250 gig hard, 128MB ATI X1600 Mobility.

My main problem, as I understand is I guess the same as in this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/762930/, I am sorry for mentioning this again, but it's not the only problem I have with the iMac.

The graphics problem is the most irritating of all and I really can't stand it anymore! The computer freezes constantly, especially using graphics intensive apps like Nuke, Photoshop and Aperture. There are lines everywhere, the system freezes and I have to force reboot, it's very hard working and also playing games. I have XP installed and when I play Mass Effect and Fallout 3 there are graphics glitches everywhere, textures coming into one another, models are deforming and after some time it freezes and restarts. As I've read in the other thread, the problem is with the ATI X1600 when it overheats which I guess it's constantly with me! And since I am a little unemployed for a couple of months now (hopefully will be employed from tomorrow...), I can't bring the iMac to a service company, because here Mac service costs an arm and a leg, also warranty is expired and I have no AppleCare! So is there a cheaper way to fix this? Get a new videocard for my iMac (maybe upgrade?) and replace it? Or some other solution to this?

Secondly, around two years ago my DVD-drive stopped writing DVDs! Next it stopped reading them, and now it only reads CDs really slow... It's unusable, in Mac OS (Tiger, Leopard) and in Windows XP. Do I have to get a new drive too?

The last problem is with my USB ports. I have an external LaCie 1TB drive connected with USB. The problem is that USB is really slow reading and writing to the LaCie, and not only with it, flash drives, cardreaders, my Canon EOS 40D, everything! And when I am downloading something big and save it to the LaCie, the hard drive freezes! If it's downloading at 3MB/s at most it won't freeze, but if it gets beyond that, it's like my LaCie get banged on the head, loses it's mind and freezes, constantly blinking, and doesn't stop, I've tried leaving it for many hours and it keeps blinking!

Honestly, I feel like my iMac is braking apart. Does anyone have suggestions what should I do? If everything goes well tomorrow and I get the job I suppose I could take it for repairs, even though it'll be quite expensive but if there is another solution?

iPlm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
Sofia
Well, I just spoke with the authorized service and to fix everything it costs 750 Euro. I guess buying the same model from ebay would cost me less :( The logicboard along costs 500 Euro + 250 for the optical drive. I seriously need suggestions guys!

tsmercer

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2009
I'm having the same problem with mine, same model except with the 256MB X1600. The whole line from that period seems to be having problems with glitching and freezing. The Apple support discussions has a 29 page thread dedicated to this problem with a whole lot of angry customer in there.
Really hoping Apple does one of their extended repair programs that they've done with some of their other systems.

iPlm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
Sofia
I sure hope they do! This isn't a minor issue! And having to replace the whole logicboard when it's so expensive it really sucks. For that amount of money I guess you could buy the same machine but without the problems. I probably won't be able to spare money and replace it, sooner or later I'm getting a new unibody 15 MacBook Pro, but until then, I guess I don't have any other choice but to press Cmd+S every minute and pray it will hold on as much as it can before freezing! I've also noticed that while playing a game in XP and occasionally it doesn't reboot it takes me to the desktop with the VPU Recover dialog displayed, but I guess in Mac OS there isn't a VPU recover...

I've installed the fan control app, but weirdly CPU and GPU temperature doesn't show up, stays at 0 degrees Celsius. Maybe the sensors aren't working?

tsmercer

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2009
I've done the fan thing too. Helped for a couple months, but now it's getting bad again. Strange that it doesn't show the temp. Mine rests at about 45° C and tops out at about 63° C when I'm pushing it. I guy in the Apple forums sent his to a repair shop, Apples-R-US, for a logic board repair for $250, $200 if you remove the board yourself and ship it alone. I'm hoping it goes well for him because I'm considering the same thing. $700-900 for a logic board replacement is just ridiculous. Could get a factory refurb for that price.

iPlm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
Sofia
250$ is definitely a lot better than 500 Euro! If it was the same here, I'd definitely send it for repairs! Considering it works...
I guess I'm stuck with the problem. Have to buy external optical drive, too! But with the problematic USBs I don't know if it will work properly. :)

Twebb

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2012
Apples-r-us

Does anyone know the exact website for apples-r-us? I need a new logic board too, and I can't seem to find their site or contact info.

Ismelito

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2008
They removed my message at the Apple Community Discussion Forums so let's spread this around here:

http://wh.gov/IoBJ

A new petition. I'm tired of fighting via telephone with Apple to try to solve this problem. Let's see if this time they do something right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.