Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DontGetTheCheese

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
So, here's the problem. I've been looking at an iMac, specifically the one that can be upgraded to a m395X GPU. I also have a Discover Card.

As I understand the process I must make an in-store purchase, so if i walk in the store, and Apple Pay for a m395 everything is good because it's an in-store transaction. A 395X, however, must be purchased via the website, as it's custom. I can use my phone, the Apple App and Apple Pay through that.

But, is that an in-store purchase for purposes of the promotion?

Note: I've just emailed Discover about this but I welcome any answers here.

Last edited:

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I'm pretty sure judging by other threads on the subject here that an in store purchase means purchasing in a physical store and not online which is what the Apple Store app is.

DontGetTheCheese

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
I'm pretty sure judging by other threads on the subject here that an in store purchase means purchasing in a physical store and not online which is what the Apple Store app is.

That's my belief too. I made a snarky comment about how even in an Apple store I couldn't use Apple Pay, which the red shirt didn't appreciate. He got pretty defensive but we're talking $500, with the double rewards 10%.

We'll see what Discover has to say.

DontGetTheCheese

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Discover confirmed that I don't get it through the app. I can still get 5% through the Apple program, which I guess doubles, so there is that. Good thing I didn't listen to the salesperson.

So, once again, thwarted in my attempt to use Apple Pay. :)

Reactions: aristobrat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.