Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickelbackmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Jonesboro, Arkansas USA
I am probably the stupidest Mac owner in the world, but here goes. I am looking into getting an Intel iMac, 20", yata yata. Do iMacs have built-in speakers? I only own Mac laptops (MBP 17", iBook G3), so I don't know anything about Mac desktops. If they DO, can I have some details. If they DON'T, which set of speakers would be nice for my new Mac?

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
Yes there are built in speakers... this is what is on apple's website..

Audio
Built-in stereo speakers
Internal 12-watt digital amplifier
Headphone/optical digital audio output
Audio line input
Built-in microphone

nickelbackmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Jonesboro, Arkansas USA
rye9 said:
Yes there are built in speakers... this is what is on apple's website..

Audio
Built-in stereo speakers
Internal 12-watt digital amplifier
Headphone/optical digital audio output
Audio line input
Built-in microphone

Thanks! Just ordered the iMac, and thanks to your post, I didn't buy extra speakers.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
I would recommend some external speakers if you want some properly hefty sound, the built-in ones are good, but perhaps not good enough for DVD playback if you want really nice sound.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
All Macs (including the Mac mini and Power Mac G5) have built-in speakers. Of the desktops though, only the iMac has even reasonably good sounding speakers. Still, if you're going to listen to a lot of music on them, a set of external speakers wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm thinking of getting some for my iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.