1. dudewheresmymac macrumors member

I was wondering whether you guys think that apple will ever put a superdrive back into the 15 iMac...

i really want a superdrive but can afford to get teh 17" or 20" nor do i have the space to put in

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i doubt it i mean the 15 is the base imac model and teh superdrivve is a high end feature

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I really doubt it. The superdrive is, until DVD-RW drives become more standard, something for the mid or high range machines. The 15" is likely to be killed off, i think, and if it stays, it'll remain the low-end... putting it firmly out of the reach of the superdrive. If Apple can't get a G5 in it's iMac, and can't get the G4 any faster, they may start adding more features to the low-end machines, but that could be a year or more away before it becomes dire.

so basically, afraid not. But you could always buy used, or replace the drive yourself after you save up some more money...

paul

4. Opteron macrumors 6502

stab in the dark here, but could you install one yourself.

A DVD burner cost $200AUD with DVD+-R/RW.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

this is one of Apple problems showing itself, if he could get a superdrive in the 15". Apple needs to let you get what you want in a machine. they do this sales would go up. every Pc maker allows you to build your machine. Apple plays well you want that then you have to take this.

6. dudewheresmymac thread starter macrumors member

i agree with "dont hurt me" Apple should let its costumers choose what they want... i mean some people like me have size and money issues that would be aleviated if Apple gave more options to its buyers

7. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Those more options mean more time and people to put them in, which equals higher costs. Especially for a machine like the iMac which isn't designed for easily swappable parts, since it isn't aimed at power users.

PC companies have the ability to offer all hose options because they are just throwing parts into a box.

Apple tries to build machines aimed at various markets and offer reasonable feature sets based on those markets. Perhaps someday they will have the resources to be more flexible but until then I think they are doing a fine job of offering options at a variety of prices.

I think your best bet is to go with a refurbed 17" model with Superdrive. Right now both Smalldog and PowerMax offer refurbed 1.25Ghz 17" imacs for $1699, thats only $300 more than a 15" model. Since adding a SuperDrive would cost about $200 (check out the prices on powerbooks, which are actually the ONLY models that let you choose between combo and superdrive) thats only $100 difference, for which you get a faster processor, bigger monitor and a better graphics card. It'll be the best $100 you ever spent.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Higher costs? Dell can do it, Gateway does it but long time computermaker Apple cant? come on. the problem is the whole all in one philosophy. ourway or the highway. 90% of the world is using Pcs. wonder why? its like Burger King have it your way. Keep those sauces please.

9. Opteron macrumors 6502

Can't agree with you more. (except in Australai Burger King is known as "Hungry Jacks")

10. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Showing themselves to be a hardware manufacturer with a business plan? They want you to buy the more expensive systems. They hook you with the better features. If they put the cool stuff on the low end machines they'd shoot themselves in the foot. If you don't like the way they do business you don't have to buy from them.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Lets see Great plan buy this ,this &this to get that. no wonder Microsoft rules the world. No wonder Dell is #1 I guess as long as they can still rack the consumer over the coals buying all kinds of stuff they dont need then they will continue to be that ever coveted #4 or# 5 computer maker.:rolleyes: they need to think different. consumers will go elsewhere and they do. I have even considered a high end Pc because of Apples crap.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I got fooled by that one when I was in Oz last year! I was walking through downtown Sydney, and I saw this "Burger King" sign, except it said "Hungry Jack's"! I took a picture of it, and thought to myself, "how do they get away with blatant infringement like that!" It was later that I found out Burger King owns Hungry Jack's (they're the same thing), and the reason they aren't called "Burger King" in Oz is because at the time, before BK went international, some "smart" Aussie businessmen bought the rights to the name "Burger King". Their thinking was that when BK came to Oz, they would make a lot of money selling the name to BK. But, Burger King basically said "Screw You" and called it Hungry Jack's instead. :cool:

Oh, and I agree with Don't Hurt Me as well on this one. ;)

13. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

It's a little annoying, but it's very common and certainly isn't limited to Apple. Have you ever bought a new car? That's probably where you'll find the worst of that kind of thing. If I want the top sound system I have to buy it in a package along with a moon roof, 20" wheels, and a horn that plays DMX. Ultimately it's your own fault if you buy things you don't need.

People may get turned off from Apple for whatever reason, but they're making a profit so somebody is buying their stuff.

14. cubist macrumors 68020

FTM, the PC makers do it too. If you want to control every single part in your machine, you have to build a clone.

The drive's easy to change anyway. I just put a Pioneer DVR-106 in my G4 tower, it was easy, and now I have a Superdrive. newegg.com, $130.

What really I wanted, and would have bought from Apple, was a 17" iMac G5 with Superdrive. But that's not available yet.

15. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I've long advocated an Apple iMac build to order program where you can customize all the features on the computer. Make a standard model at each monitor size for easy ordering and stocking units for retailers.

Complete build to order at the Apple Store online with shipping to your house or pick up in Apple Store option where you could get some help and ask questions if need be. Stores could stock standard configurations and assist you in building a system to order through the online store.

Choose your CPU- G5 1.6, 1.8, 2.0
    Choose your RAM- 512 MB, 1GB, more?
    Choose your HD- 40,80,160 GB
    Choose your video card- 32 MB, 64MB, 128MB
    Choose your LCD size - 15", 17" or 20"
    Add Bluetooth- yes/no
    Add AirPort card - yes/no
    Choose your KB- standard or BT
    Choose your mouse - standard or BT

16. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

The only fear I have with this kind of scheme is a rise in prices. Since Apple's a relatively small company they probably don't get to cut as low of a manufacturing deal as other PC companies. In order to counteract this Apple may be forced to offer limited buy to order options in order to "guarantee" the manufacter that so many video cards, cpus etc.. will be purchased from them. This is of course my opinion.

Note: I would really like to see this scheme as well. However I see it unlikely to happen in the near future.

17. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

That there is no BTO superdrive for the 15" iMac is part of the ignorance of Apple for customer needs. Because it requires no additional engineering or something. They just could put it in.

But to answer your question. I believe that in the next iMacs superdrive should become more and more standard. But if that will be any time soon ? Who knows ?

18. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Re: iMac question

I got a 17" 1ghz for $1299 on refurbished site at apple.com...it screams with 700+ mb of memory at doing most tasks. burned Cd in a couple of minutes this morning, and going to burn a DVD later today or tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes.

19. encro macrumors 6502

encro

hmmm, I was alway under the impression that BK assumed Australia would never eat at a Burger King because it sounded too American and opted to use a supposedly more Australian name instead.

You story sounds a lot closer to the truth though than the one I heard :)

P.S. I like the name Burger King.

20. encro macrumors 6502

encro

Any idea if it's possible to retrofit an internal Pioneer A-06 in place of the iMac's original Pioneer DVR-104 Superdrive?

Would it work with iDVD?

21. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

don't even get into a discussioin about M$ and business plans. M$ has no business ethics when it comes to competition!!! NONE whatsoever! I am much more comfortable supporting Apple and their business model than I am M$. By the way, doing much on a 15" with superdive would suck anyway as you are editing movies, etc. you would want the screen real estate anyway so he can go get a refurb. 17" and enjoy it just as well!

Don't like Apple, don't buy it!

As far as build to order goes, yeah, their comsumer end computers are not "build to order" exactly but the form factor of the iMac makes this difficult to do. If you want a parted out piece of crap go get yourself a PC...if you want something that is a well oiled machine that all are up to very high standards and work well together get a mac. You know, there is a reason a PC's hardware elements are so easy to work and change...that is BECAUSE THEY NEED FIXING SO OFTEN due to inferior parts. That being said, there are well made PC's out there, but most of those are costly just like Macs.:D