imac question

Discussion in 'Games' started by Anarchy99, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

at apple it says stuff about the grapics card and mentions it can run doom3 how well would it run though

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

We need to wait for actual reviews of Doom 3 running on this iMac. Which would, of course, require Doom 3. You can't just look at the GPU specs; you need to see how the whole system interacts with the game.

3. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

My guess? 640x480 medium detail between 15-25 FPS average.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I would probably agree. Though, you might squeeze 800x600 out of it at the same frame rates.

5. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

I am thinking to get acceble Fram rates (25fps +) you going to have to turn off the stuff that make doom graphic great. The active light and showding engine.

Turning that off just does not make it worth it at all. plus you will be on low setting and min screen res (base on test with a 128 meg Nvid FX5200)

6. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Might... but don't forget that our cards tend to be underclocked and given that the bus speeds on these iMacs are slower than the current G5s, I wouldn't expect much... my friend posted about 30 FPS avg on a 2 ghz Athlon with a GeForce Ti 4400.

7. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

The 64mb Geforce card in the iMac would be limited to running in the lowest graphic options. And even then, it probably wouldn't run all that well.

8. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I like how all the frame rate comparisons used on the iMac pages are in percentage form. This way Apple never discloses how many frames per second a game is running at, only that it faster than the old iMac G4 by a given percentage.

9. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

then again...it is a g5...so ionno...MIGHT run alright after all

10. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Yeah, going from 10 FPS to 20 isn't really that great -_-

11. benpatient macrumors 68000

i noticed that, as well...pretty embarrassing... "games run 100% faster than our old version, which ran games so slowly that we're not going to tell you exactly how slow it really was...it's that slow!"

somehow that doesn't inspire confidence.

I can't believe that they have the audacity to claim that the new iMac will play D3 worth anything. wait. yes i can. the local mac store still has a highway billboard saying "The G5...the worlds fastest personal computer" that has been up since THIS January...