iMac Questions and "Doubts"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Caitlyn, Feb 12, 2006.

  1. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2005
    #1
    Hey everyone.
    I have a few questions about the Intel iMac as well as some what you might call "doubts" over purchasing one.

    Ok, so, to start, I currently own a 12" iBook G4 (full specs in sig) and I am looking for a bit more of a kick when I work. I want to be able to run apps like Aperture, CS3 Suite, and Studio 8 smoothly and with no slow down. The iBook does Studio 8 and CS2 well, but I notice a little slowness. So, I am considering buying a 17" iMac Core Duo 1.83GHz to use as my main machine and the iBook for school and when I am too tired or busy to be tied to a desk. But I am having a few doubts over purchasing the iMac.

    Studio 8 and CS2 are not universal yet. So, they would run through Rosetta, from what I have heard will run it just as slow as this iBook is running it. Therefore, I really wouldn't be getting what I wanted from the machine to begin with, right? I am looking for thoughts from current Rosetta users on this. Thanks!

    Alright, now for the questions. How is the RAM set up in an Intel iMac? Is there RAM on the motherboard? If so, how much? Are there any free slots? I would want to buy the iMac with 1GB in it and a free slot so I can add in another 1GB later on. Is this possible?

    I think that's all for now. If I think of more questions, I'll let you know. :eek: :p Thanks for your input/help. It's much appreciated! :)
    Caitlyn
     
  2. skubish macrumors 68030

    skubish

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2005
    Location:
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    #2
    Well a lot depends on how often do you plan to buy computers. If you will buy a computer every 12-18 months I would go with the iMac G5 and wait for the Rev B intel iMac and Universal Binaries. If you will buy this Mac and keep it for 24-36 months or more, I would get the intel iMac and just wait for the universal binaries.
     
  3. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2005
    #3
    I plan on keeping this iMac for a good 24 months, maybe more.
     
  4. macaddicted macrumors regular

    macaddicted

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Down on Copperline...
    #4
    I'm in the same boat you are, trying to decide whether to get a new system or not. I think I can answer a couple of your questions. First, more memory is always better, and my understanding is that this is even more true with the Intel iMacs and Rosetta. Second, I know that there are two user accessable ram slots (and that is all you are supposed to access) and I believe that you can have configurations of 512 meg, 1 gig, 1.5 gigs and 2 gigs.

    If I'm incorrect please let me know.
     
  5. kugino macrumors 65816

    kugino

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2003
    #5
    yes, two open ram slots. do whatever you want with them.
     
  6. iGary Guest

    iGary

    Joined:
    May 26, 2004
    Location:
    Randy's House
    #6
    If you plan on using Photoshop all day long, as your bread and butter - forget it.

    If you are a casual user, hobbyist, etc. You probably will not even notice much of a difference - in fact it will probably seem quite quick when compared to your present setup.

    Adobe is not planning on releasing CS3 until next year, AFAIK.
     
  7. risc macrumors 68030

    risc

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2004
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #7
    Hi Caitlyn,

    Based on the apps you use I'd suggest getting the 20" iMac G5 while it is still available, with the recent price drop, and the lack of universal binaries it's amazing value.

    Cheers
     
  8. skubish macrumors 68030

    skubish

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2005
    Location:
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    #8
    In this case I would go with the intel iMac. Apple is only promising support of the G5s for 3 years tops and there is no promise from any software company. Get the intel iMac and just live with Rosetta until CS3 is released.
     
  9. arcsbite Guest

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2006
    #9
    may help may not...but...

    I am in your situation almost exactly...except...I made my choice and bought a machine!

    I got the intel based iMac, and upgraded the RAM, and to be honest there isn't that much of a lag with CS.

    I was using a 1.8Ghz iMac G5 with 1.5GB of RAM and am now using a 1.8GHz intel iMac G5 with 1.5GB of RAM.

    so the comparison is perfect, I did notice a slowdown in photoshop, but i'm talking minor, not the kind that gets annoying.

    I'm currently studying and therefore use CS about 3 days a week for about 4-5 hours a day and i'm coping fantasically.

    I personally believe I made the right choice, plus, when the Universal version is released at the end of 06/07 then it will get even faster with no upgrade needed.
     
  10. risc macrumors 68030

    risc

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2004
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #10
    Adobe aren't releasing a universal binary of CS2 they are releasing CS3 as a UB you will definitely need to upgrade. Unless you are talking about buying CS3 and not needing to upgrade your computer?
     
  11. arcsbite Guest

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2006
    #11
    No need to upgrade my mac
    I meant UB as in CS3, I'm aware of the situation, just wish they'd hurry up with CS3 :)
     
  12. risc macrumors 68030

    risc

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2004
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #12
    I wish they would hurry up with a lot of things, mainly 3rd party universal binaries at the moment if I was buying a new computer I'd definitely go PPC.
     

Share This Page