iMac RAM in UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gavd, Jan 11, 2007.

1. gavd macrumors 6502a

I've got a G5 iMac with the stock 512mb RAM and I'm looking to upgrade by putting a 1gb stick in.

I've found the following on scan.co.uk who I've used before, and I think it should be OK in the iMac, but I'm not totally sure. Anyone able to shed any light on whether it will be OK or not?

Thanks for any help...

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=143574

2. Queso macrumors G4

What revision is the iMac G5? Is it an iSight model?

If so, you should be looking at PC-4200 DDR2 or PC-5300 DDR2 RAM. Not sure whether PC-5400 will work.

3. gavd thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's the 2.1 Ghz iMac with iSight - the last before the intel iMac's.

Thanks for coming back though - you've made me realise I was looking at the wrong one! Thought I was looking at PC-5300 DDR2 and hadn't noticed it was PC-5400! :eek:

I'll go and have another search around...

4. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I'm looking at Offtek for memory in the UK currently.

I have a feeling we are due a drop in memory prices soon. That's why I'm waiting a month.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Scan aren't the most respectable retailer, it may be better to pay slightly more and buy elsewhere. Crucial's memory scanner comes up with this, which is PC5300 RAM, whether that is the same as PC5400 RAM I don't know.

6. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Ditto.

I'm holding off. UK prices are so high at the moment. I want to upgrade my MacBook to 2GB but am forced to wait because current crucial prices are £210!

7. gavd thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not exactly desperate for it so I'll hold off for a while then if people think there could be a price drop.

I looked at the Crucial memory selector but a couple of people I know haven't had good experiences with them - I realise though there are always lots of people that have had.

8. Jowl macrumors 6502

Crucial are the best IT Company I have dealt with.

I have only ever had to send one Ram stick back - which was replaced without delay. I cannot recommend them highly enough - and thats for trade and personal.

Never had a problem with Scan either when it comes to that.