Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattmertz77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Hi, I am interested in buying a new iMac, probably the 21.5" and was told that I need lots of RAM for what I am buying it for, which is to make music with the computer (using virtual studio technology). I figure that 16GB should be enough so I was wondering if I buy it can I upgrade the RAM after? Also how much would this cost? And are there any reasons I shouldn't buy the computer?

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
I do not think you will need more than 8gb ram with just music editing software...but if you have no intention of upgrading get it.

You can only get RAM increased before purchase on the 21" iMac. 27" offers use upgradability still.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Hi, I am interested in buying a new iMac, probably the 21.5" and was told that I need lots of RAM for what I am buying it for, which is to make music with the computer (using virtual studio technology). I figure that 16GB should be enough so I was wondering if I buy it can I upgrade the RAM after? Also how much would this cost? And are there any reasons I shouldn't buy the computer?

2012 21.5" iMacs are NOT designed to have the RAM upgraded after purchase. My recommendation is if you want 16GB then purchase the 16GB model because Apple will not upgrade it later and you cannot unless you don't mind major surgery and very probably ruining your machine and it's warranty.

mattmertz77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
2012 21.5" iMacs are NOT designed to have the RAM upgraded after purchase. My recommendation is if you want 16GB then purchase the 16GB model because Apple will not upgrade it later and you cannot unless you don't mind major surgery and very probably ruining your machine and it's warranty.

thanks you both for replying. How much is the 16GB model?

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
Contrary to what others have said, the memory in the 21.5" iMac CAN be upgraded after purchase:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5523

The memory DIMMs for iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012) computers are not user-accessible. Visit an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider if you need to replace your iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012) computer's DRAM.

The difficulty is that the computer's case is held shut with double-sided tape, and you need some special-purpose tools to open it and a new set of tape pieces to close it up when you're done.

You could contact an Apple store (or another authorized service shop) and ask how much it would cost to service the memory. Even buying cheap 3rd-party memory, the additional cost of installation probably makes the pre-installed memory a better deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.