iMac Refurbs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GlynJones, Nov 24, 2006.

1. GlynJones macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2005
    I'm after a bit of advice.

I'm currently using a Powermac Dual G5 2.0 and I am considering selling this and getting a 24" refurb iMac. There is method in my madness in that I also use a PC and would like to get rid of this to use Bootcamp and/or parallels.

The question is what are the refurbs like condition wise. Do they have scratches, look tatty, minor faults etc?

Last year I bought a refurb Powermac G5. It was spotless except that the front foot bar was so badly bent you had to pack it out with bits of card to stop it from being lop sided and wobbly. I eventually sold it and got a new one.

As this is going to be my main machine then I do want it to be cosmetically sound.

Also do you get a refurb box or the original.

Hope you refurb buyers can help me.

2. frogfroggy macrumors member

Sep 22, 2006
    Well the iMac refurb I bought for my mom was in a tremendous good shape, no scratches and such and we had also the 512 ram extra, plus better graphic card and harddrive upgrade too without extra cost for only 950 euros!

I think in the US you get a brown box that indicates that its refurb (?) Im not really sure though, we had the original box, which was in a not so good status ^^, probably through the "long" trip from Ireland, according to the apple delievery status site :D

In my opinion I highly recommend buying a refurb, one guy from this forum said to me, its like gambling on ebay, just wait for good offers and then go for it.

I love MAC's first time user since October 2006 :D :D
  3. carman63 macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2006
    I bought a 24" iMac refurb myself, and I'm very happy with it.

The refurb came in a plain brown box, with a keyboard, mouse, 2 DVDs and 2 small booklets. That was pretty much it.

No scratches or scuffs on mine, it looked brand new. I couldn't tell a difference from a new one, minus the plain box.

Also, you might just get lucky like I did and get a 'free' upgrade. The refurbs are sold as base (stock) units, i.e., 128MB video, 1GB RAM, 250GB drive. However, mine came with the 256MB video :) Others have reported getting larger hard drives. You may or may not get an upgrade, but it's a nice little bonus if you do :D

Good luck in your decision!
  4. R.Youden macrumors 68020

Apr 1, 2005
    Hi, Refurb all the way. I dont think I will ever buy a 'new' mac again. You get a great saving, maybe a bonus upgrade, and you know it is working as it has been repaired.

Enjoy your machine anyway.