iMac rejects movie DVDs, but not data DVDs and CDs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by crockpot, Sep 7, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Over the last couple of months my DVD player started to reject my netflix DVDs. Sometimes I would just pop it in a couple of times and it would eventually accept it. Now it's at the point where it rejects all movie DVDs no matter how times I put it in. However, it does takes data DVDs (ie, my adobe premiere disk, final cut pro disk, os disk) and CDs.

Here is what I have:
    iMac: 3.06 Ghz (year and half old)
    OS X: 10.6

Here is what I've done so far:
    Reset PRAM
    Repair Permissions

I rather avoid replacing it. I think I rather buy a external DVD player or just switch to only netflix streaming...

2. macrumors 604

Have you tried a non-netflix DVD?
    If you have Applecare, take it to Apple.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

No apple care, and yes I already tried many non-netflix DVD.

4. macrumors regular

Have you tried cleaning the DVD laser lens? Good luck with streaming netflix. Since they lost their agreement with Sony, their streaming collection is sh)t. I'm thinking of terminating it.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

I probably need to be directed to some good cleaning instructions for cleaning the DVD lens. I was a huge PC guy before this Mac, so I rather not do anything stupid.

Ya, I was originally going to go for the 2 DVDs a month and skip streaming especially since they are also losing all the Starz deals also. But if my mac isn't DVD player isn't working then that it won't work for me (its my only source of DVD movie watching at this time).

6. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Can you even do that with a slot loading DVD drive? I'd be hesitant to put anything thicker than a DVD in there.

7. macrumors regular

I use one of those CD cleaner discs with the little brushes every once in a while. They do work unless your lens in really dirty. Then somebody has to actually take the d@mn thing apart. Not a job for me. If the cleaner doesn't work, then your suprdrive has gone wonky, which is a habit of superdrives in my experience. Getting it fixed is an applecare thing unless you don't have that. Then a fireware external drive is probably easier unless you want to just replace the drive yourself Google iFixit for instructions.

If Starz is gone too, then Netflix steaming is about dead.

8. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Of course that's what the major studios want. :mad: Shortsighted idiots.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try that. Have any brand recommendations for one?