Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphamr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Everything was working fine before i install HWMonitor. I wanted to know the temps so i installed HWMonitor, it installed some FakeSMC and Sensors. Now whenever i restart. The computer shutdown and not restarting. I have to turn off the ups and turn it again.

alphamr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
yea HWmonitor was windows program but i found it for mac version too. After i installed it, this restarting problem started.

alphamr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Actually i am new to Mac. I used HWmonitor on my windows machine. So i googled it and found the app for Mac too. So i installed it on my iMac. I have no other intention. If i came to know about iStatpro i would have installed it.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Since it's new, backup what you have and restore the OS via the recovery partition if the problem persists. I have no experience with HWMonitor.

OSX isn't Windows, it generally doesn't need any 3rd party utilities or tweaking to run properly.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec

That's for a hackintosh, not a real mac. It says so in the readme file. It added kexts (drivers) that can't be used on real macs, hence your boot issues. Not the same as the original made by Bresink.

Can you boot in safe mode? Hold shift when you start the computer. If so, simply delete the fakesmc.kext file (system>library>extensions), then open terminal and run these two commands:

On Lion and Mountain Lion:

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

if you're on SL or earlier, the commands are:

sudo rm -R Extensions.kextcache
sudo rm -R Extensions.mkext

If not, you can do it in single-user mode or just go into recovery (hold option at startup) and reinstall OSX. It won't delete your files, just reinstalls the OS.

Last edited:

alphamr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
That's for a hackintosh, not a real mac. It says so in the readme file. It added kexts (drivers) that can't be used on real macs, hence your boot issues. Not the same as the original made by Bresink.

Can you boot in safe mode? Hold shift when you start the computer. If so, simply delete the fakesmc.kext file (system>library>extensions), then open terminal and run these two commands:

On Lion and Mountain Lion:

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

if you're on SL or earlier, the commands are:

sudo rm -R Extensions.kextcache
sudo rm -R Extensions.mkext

If not, you can do it in single-user mode or just go into recovery (hold option at startup) and reinstall OSX. It won't delete your files, just reinstalls the OS.
Thank you very much, it worked. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.