imac rev a

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tim1978, May 14, 2005.

1. tim1978 macrumors newbie

Dec 4, 2004
    The apple store had a rev a iMac 20 in stock for $1500. The sales clerk said that it was an ultimate better configuration than other rev a. Here are the specs
    1.8 powerpc
    160 gig hard drive
    wireless with wireless keyboard and mouse
    512 ram
    it is missing a wireless airport card and the gigabit ethernet. I have a airport express and wanted the imac to join my wireless network but for $300 dollars less (the price of the middle 17 in model) it seems like a good deal. Do you think I should get the rev a ultimate over the rev b? :confused:
  2. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004
    Well it is not Ulimate at all.

Standard HDD
    No Airport
    Only 512MB RAM vs 2GB ;)

I would go for Rev B:

2.0Ghz G5 + 67Mhz more FSB
    APE and BT 2.0
    512MB standard
    250 GB HDD
    8x DVD doubble layer drive
    9600 with 128MB VRAM
    Gigabit ethernet :rolleyes:
  3. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

Jan 3, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I disagree completely -- take the deal. You wouldn't even take advantage of gigabit ethernet if you're running off Airport ... you can get an Airport Express card dirt cheap used off E-bay. And you can get cheap RAM in many places ... the iMac is a breeze to upgrade. The primary selling point of the 20" iMac is that glorious screen ... all the rest isn't worth the price difference.
  4. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004
    Well there you have the other way of looking at it...just go for what you think is the best ;)
  5. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

Jan 3, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    One other thing worth keeping in mind -- this is a discontinued product, don't be shy about negotiating. The Apple Store has to move this product one way or another. Ask them to throw in an Airport Express card or 256 megs of extra RAM ... or both. You have nothing to lose.
  6. auxplage macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    Rev B all the way mainly because of the updated video card, and the fact that it is Rev B.
  7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    By the time you buy the $79 Airport Extreme card (you ARE getting that new to get the warranty, right?) the price differential is $221

How long are you going to own the machine -- 4 years?

Will you get $60 per year value out of the extra speed, extra disk space, and presumably a bit higher resale value at the end?

If we were talking about many hundreds in savings up front, it would be different.

If you knew absolutely that you would not ever need the additional features, however, then take the savings.