iMac RevB gaming?

Discussion in 'Games' started by the dr, May 30, 2005.

1. the dr macrumors member

Hi....

I know the iMac isn't meant as a gaming machine, but, as i'm getting one next week, i was just wondering if anyone has played any games on it. If so, what games, and how well does is handle them?

cheers...

the dr

2. russed macrumors 68000

russed

what kind of games are you wanting to play on it?

3. the dr thread starter macrumors member

well, honestly i haven't played many games in a long time. I used to be a big marathon fan :D

I guess i'm mainly into FPS's, and these do tend to be the most demanding for graphics, i believe. But also like flight sims.

cheers...

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

In my opinion the iMac G5 rev B should be fine for playing games. The new updates brought faster cpus (up to 2GHz), a faster fsb (up to 667MHz), and a faster video card with twice the vram- in short a iMac that can play games even better than before. So yes, the iMac should be fine for playing games- just dont expect to be able to play Doom III with all the eye candy enabled as this is hard to do on even the fastest PowerMacs.

5. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

LOL...

When I read the title I though he meant a Bondi Blue RevB iMac... from 1998! I was like "is he kidding?"

LOL- Brain fart.

:D

6. iPoster macrumors regular

Heh, I was thinking the same thing....

At least the games you could run on a Bondi would be cheap!!

LOL

7. the dr thread starter macrumors member

Ha ha - well - actually the G5 is replacing my current PowerPC G3 233MHz beige desktop..... which was the lowest end power mac released in 1997.

But it's still good and running OSX nicely - indeed i'm writing from it now. And marathon and starcraft are still a treat :)

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Me too :)

Well.. that is what the Rev B. iMac is..... ;)

Still fun in playing Nanosaur? :D

But back to the Rev B G5 iMac...

This Mac is pretty good at gaming. A 2 GHz G5 CPU is great and the Radeon 9600 128 MB VRAM is not bad.
    Only super demanding games like Doom 3, UT 2004 are a bit too heavy for it.
    But all of the other great titles:
    MOHAA series (with native iMac G5 screen resolution support!)
    COD series
    Tiger Woods 2003
    Nascar 2003
    Battlefield 1942
    .... etc

will play excellently on it! :)

9. Bozola macrumors regular

10. the dr thread starter macrumors member

Really? Excellent!! How much RAM do you have? I think I will order some extra RAM from crucial so I'd have 1GB.

doc

11. 36183 Guest

i tested out ut2004 on my mates imac g5 with 1 gb of ram and a 128 mb 9600 on highest graphic for everything and we plated the face 3 map. it ran rather well.

12. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

LOL thats what I thought to I was going to suggest Quake 3 or UT
    :D

13. the dr thread starter macrumors member

14. MrCommunistGen macrumors regular

MrCommunistGen

Me too!

Oh well, You shoule be able to play any FPS out there right now, just don't expect liquid framerates on the newest ones. Also, as others have mentioned, don't expect to be able to crank up the detail settings on the latest titles either.

-mcg

15. nutrix macrumors newbie

iMac Rev B Gaming

I bought my iMac Rev B as soon as it came out, and since receiving it I have played a few games on it. The UT 2004 demo plays fantastically on it (at 1024x640 as the demo will not go higher) with all the settings turned up to max. I was disapointed that I couldn't turn anything higher!!

I have also played Goo Ball at 1440x900 and that plays flawlessly on the highest settings. Nanosaur plays very well. Civ III plays well (although that is not surprising!!).

However, I really would like to know how Doom 3 performs on the iMac, as I would really like to buy it. Is there any hope of either Apple improving OpenGL/Driver performance or Aspyr optimising to increase the frame rates? Is it playable at decent settings at the moment?

And can I say, window resizing is a treat(!) with the new graphics card.

16. the dr thread starter macrumors member

it's here

so i finally got my 17" iMac today. The only game I have here at the moment is halo.

generally it runs ok - but sometimes I get some polygons that sort of get dragged out of shape somehow - like suddenly your gun will be stretched somehow and it happens particularly in the cut scenes.

anyone know what causes this or how i can stop it?

so gaming isn't great on this thing but it'll pass i guess!!

doc

17. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Sounds weird. Has never happened to me on my G4 with a 9000 and 9800 card. Or on my G5 with a 9800 or 9800XT.

I'd do the regular "fix-alls". Run all software updates. Update Halo to the latest revision. Then run Permissions Repairs. Reboot and see if any of this helps. (Probably not, but it's good to do anyhow)

18. the dr thread starter macrumors member

so i finally took a screen shot. this is a very mild example - it often happens with the sniper rifle, but typically when i try and get it to happen to take a screen shot, it's fine.

any ideas?

picture... sorry - big file