iMac Revisions...Now or Later?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacMusicMan39, Jul 25, 2006.

?

Wait or Buy?

  1. Wait it Out

    15 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Order Now!

    3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. MacMusicMan39 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2004
    #1
    Hey Guys,

    As is the case with many of the writers filling the threads these days, I am a college student looking for a new Mac.:) I'm planning on getting an iMac before I head back in August to take advantage of the iPod deal. However, I was expecting some iMac updates before September b/c the line was introduced in January. With Mac Pros expected at WWDC should I order the iMac now and get acquainted with it or wait out updates til the last possible minute? I looked through the threads concerning Merom processors in iMacs and most mentioned that the iMac is a consumer desktop and that it may only be bumped up to Core 2 Duo to distinguish a difference between the Pro and consumer line. Anyway, does anyone have any advice on whether to wait or buy?:eek:

    Thanks for your time,
    MacMusicMan39
     
  2. bradc macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2006
    Location:
    Canader eh
    #2
    Wait it out man! OS X is super easy to learn and the wait will be well worth it if they update before September. Which would make sense to re-ignite the Summer Sales. But, what makes sense isn't always done.

    But I'd say, if you already have logged a few hours in OS X then wait. Otherwise, pick one up now because you don't want to go to school and have a computer failure a week in! It would be ideal if you could 'break' it in a bit.
     
  3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

    BlizzardBomb

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2005
    Location:
    England
    #3
    Well what you plan on doing with your new computer? Heavy work or basic stuff?

    I think the iMac update will happen within 2 months. The iMac should get a new Core 2 Duo processor, although the Forums seem to be split over whether it'll get Conroe (hotter running desktop processor) or Merom (cooler laptop processor). Either way, they are both more powerful than the current processor used even at the same clock speed (GHz).

    I'm also expecting a graphics card bump maybe from X1600 to X1600 Pro 128MB + X1600 Pro 256MB. Although with the X1650 Pro coming around the corner, it would be nice for Apple to use an up-to-date graphics card but somehow I doubt it.

    But anyway, if you only plan on doing light things like Word Processing, Web-browsing, e-Mail, iTunes blah blah blah and you don't want to wait, you'll be fine with the current iMac.
     
  4. netdog macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #4
    I think it will happen in two weeks, not two months. Part of the big push to the 64-bit platform that Leopard will enable. I think a lot of veteran Mac watchers here are going to be really suprised how fast and furious the updates are gonna come now. The previous slow schedule was down to the PowerPC. With Intel on board, you can forget how it was.

    I even expect a Merom Mini by September.
     
  5. j26 macrumors 65832

    j26

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2005
    Location:
    Paddyland
    #5
    Wait until August 7th at least. If it's going to be announced, it's most likely to be then.
     
  6. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

    BlizzardBomb

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2005
    Location:
    England
    #6
    Note how I said within two months. I'm still right if it happens at WWDC ;)
     
  7. MacMusicMan39 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2004
    #7
    Thanks for the replies guys,

    I should have mentioned that I own an iBook so I am experienced with Mac OS X (or should I say in love with it...)

    Which processor is more ideal for the iMacs, the Core Duo 2 or the Merom? If the desktop is in a well ventalated area, will the temp still matter as much as it does with a laptop?
     
  8. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

    BlizzardBomb

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2005
    Location:
    England
    #8
    Merom is a Core 2 Duo ;) Core 2 Duo includes both Conroe and Merom. But anyway, I'm pretty sure Apple will be able to sort out cooling even if they used a Conroe processor and you would not have to worry about using it in a cool area. For more info:

    Conroe
    Merom
     

Share This Page