iMac (ruby) power supply dead

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mhauf, Sep 16, 2004.

1. mhauf macrumors newbie

I have a ruby iMac that died on Aug 8th after a power surge in our house. THen, a week later, after yet another electrical surge (we've got bad power lines) I was able to start the mac with no problem. If I unplug it, I can't start it again. Unless...it sits for a week or gets joggled, then it miraculously start up again. I carted it five blocks in the city to see about repairs, when I set it up in the shop, it started!

Right now, it's dead again. If I push the power button nothing happens, no noise, no little green light. I've changed the power cord, but to no avail. When the computer does work, everything on it is fine, runs like a dream.

I don't know anything technical about the computer, but a tech-head friend (who only works on PCs) said it's probably the power supply.

Anyone have this same problem, or suggestions on what I can do? I just got the new G5 yesterday, so I don't need the old computer, but I do need all the software and files from it. So I just need to get it started one last time...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    M

2. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Open it up, take out the HD and put in a Firewire enclosure.

3. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

Your friend is right, it most likely is a damaged or cracked joint or component in the power supply.

If you need your data, you could always pull the bottom off the iMac, and remove the drisk drive ( pretty easy actually ). You then could put the drive in a USB2 case and extract your data.

This would also give you a nice setup for backups to protect you against those nasty power surges.

One question... Why aren't your Macs on a UPS with Surge protection?

Max.

4. mhauf thread starter macrumors newbie

pulling off the bottom

Okay, so the bottom of the computer is easily removable? (Don't laugh! I'm am not technically-inclined whatsoever.) I think I can find a sight online that'll show me how to do it.

ANd yes, it is (was) on a surge protector. I've got two other computers in the house that were not affected by the power surge. Sigh...

I'll attempt to take the computer apart. It's not like I can do further damage. I hope!

Thanks!