iMac Rumours

Discussion in 'iMac' started by francism, Jan 3, 2007.

1. francism macrumors newbie

francism

I haven't seen anything new about iMacs. Is no one expecting upgrades to the iMac line? I have been putting off buying a 24" because I thought a new iMac would be announced at MWSF 2007.

Cheers,

Francis.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

They were updated recently. I would be surprised at a MWSF update.

3. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

while an iMac update is unlikely, you should wait until after MWSF to make any purchases. at least you'll get iLife 07 bundled!

4. Play Ultimate macrumors 6502

Since I skipped 10.4.x and am still using 10.3.9, my plan is to wait for 10.5

5. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I could maybe see I silent update of the iMacs, but nothing revolutionary.

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

There isn't much new technology out, so no iMac update. Just wait so youll get iLife 07

7. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I'm hoping that waiting a couple of weeks will help land me a free copy of Leopard....
    If not, I'll just order the thing in a couple of weeks anyways and see what ends up on my doorstop. :)

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If you're prepared to wait for March-April for Santa Rosa and Leopard, that's your best bet. Otherwise, buy it after MacWorld for updated software. And/or buy a refurb cheap.

9. mwtrx67 macrumors newbie

Newbie here, looking at the Imacs. What advantages will the Santa Rosa and the Leopard provide? How often does Apple come out with new OS and platforms? Thanks

10. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I think about every 18 months Mac OS X is meant to be revised.

11. francism thread starter macrumors newbie

francism

New iMac features...

I thought perhaps there would be a Product Red iMac...

And perhaps a built-in memory card reader...

12. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Not going to happen, way to ugly and just think of all the different memory cards that are now extinct.

13. Homy macrumors newbie

14. alaibubu macrumors member

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Most of the big things about Santa Rosa are more specific to notebooks than desktops. It has better integrated video than the current chipset, but the iMac does not use integrated video. It has the Robson flash technology (for greatly reduced boot times), which I guess is nice, although you can just leave your Mac on and put it to sleep, so honestly, I don't see caring about a technology that I use once every two weeks when I reboot my iMac. Finally it has faster front-side bus. So overall, it will perform generally faster at a given clock speed than the current architecture.

Leopard will offer a handful of interesting things...you can read about that at Apple's site. The Time Machine backup architecture. A resolution-indpendent UI framework that, in time, will really revolutionize the look and feel of OS X. Likewise, 64 bit APIs, which, like the res-indep UI, won't change anything immediately, but which will probably over the course of three or four years deliver some real improvement to computation intensive activities on Macs. Also smaller updates to all the bundled apps - iCal, Mail, iChat, etc.

iLife 07 rumors haven't really said what will be vastly different, but everything is likely to be enhanced. Particularly iWeb, since it's so new.

16. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Express card slot would be nice. Also I would expect a black model.

I don't think it will be too long though until Apple upgrade the iMac design. Normally they upgrade with processor but not the Intel move. The 24" model is nice and I think that they will struggle to design anything new that can accept the 24" display.

I would be tempted to get rid of the all-in-one design and go for a slightly more powerful mac mini that comes bundled with a display...