IMAC Running final cut Studio

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by NZEditer, May 29, 2006.

1. NZEditer macrumors newbie

Hello i live in New Zealand and i need some advice if some one can give me it . im looking at buying a mac .Will a iMac 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo with 1 GB of Ram run all the software in Final Cut studio easily and fairly quickly.Or is a MBP needed or a power mac.

Cheers :)

2. jaysmith macrumors regular

should be fine and dandy, those new imacs are quick. enjoy!

3. NZEditer thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you reckon it has enough ram ? and is the graphics card good enough? thanks for reply.

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I'm running all Studio 5.1 apps on my iMac G5 (1.5Gb RAM) - seems fine to me. I've read a couple of times that the Intel machines need a little extra RAM, so you may want to consider that.

The only thing I'd advise on is the lack of expandability with the iMac's. I already have two external hard drives (Firewire & USB2) hanging off mine - looking forward to an Intel PowerMac with 4-drive slots! :rolleyes:

5. NZEditer thread starter macrumors newbie

When you say expandability you mean space on hard drive? Are the external Hard drives ok to use are the hard to use ?

Cheers :) :confused:

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

The MBP and the iMac really are the same inside. Or close enough to the same. I think the 20" iMac would be best just because of the larger screen. Final Cut uses a lot of screen space.

Why 1GB? I'd put in as much RAM as will fit.

I'm waiting to see what replaces the PowerMac. I assume it will be an Intel "core 2" or some kind that allows at least 16GB of RAM. We will know in August

7. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

I must admit, I was a little scared to sell my G5 Quad with
    6.5 gigs of RAM for an iMac.

Now that I have it, I'm impressed.

I'm running Final Cut Studio on my new 20" iMac Core Duo.
    With 2 gigs of RAM, it is very fast and stable. The graphics
    card is fine. The only thing to be concerned about regarding that,
    is when using Motion although even that works just fine. :D

8. NZEditer thread starter macrumors newbie

:) Ok what can these imacs take ram wise how much can they handle?
    So your saying motion works or sometimes works or works good ?

Cheers thanks for reply it helped

9. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I meant expandability in terms of adding additional/larger disk space as well as a second or third firewire channel, in case of dropped frames from sharing a firewire channel with a disk drive and video-camera during capturing (I've never had that problem though).

Other than that the iMac's are very capable desktops.

10. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

The new iMacs can take up to 2 gigs of RAM. As mentioned above, I have mine maxed out.
    Motion is good, sometimes the first playback is a little slow to render, but after that it's fine.
    I'm very glad and happy to use Final Cut Studio on this consumer priced machine.

Universal version of Pro Tools should be out this week and I'll be using that as well. :D

11. NZEditer thread starter macrumors newbie

12. ikonq macrumors member

Be a little wary- If you intend to do High Defintion Video Professionally, Wait for an Intel PowerMac (Mac Pro); They give you the power and expandibilty you need.

The iMac is fine for Non HD Footage, But don't forget to get an external scratch disk..

Also- I'd consider the graphics card upgrade option. Costs like $110AUD, and gets you twice the graphics RAM.

13. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

What stops you from putting 4GB's RAM into the iMac? 32 bit systems can handle up to 4GB's, can't they?

14. ikonq macrumors member

No one makes 2GB 667Mhz PC 5300 SO-DIMMs yet. The iMac has only two RAM slots.

15. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Why does the intel imac take SODIMMS, and the G5 takes DIMMS?

16. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Umm......yes they do. Here's a link to one from Crucial: http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.Asp?IMODULE=CT25664AC667 :eek:

So, it is just a matter of a simple question - do you want to spend that kind of money on a couple of 2gig sticks? :confused:

17. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Due to enclosure and cooling restrictions, the iMac uses the same type of memory as a laptop.

18. ammon macrumors regular

That is what kept me from selling my dual G5 and getting an iMac. Only 2 slots? It just isn't enough!

I'm only running 3gb right now in my G5, and I am thinking about adding more...

19. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i too want to do the same thing. I will see what happens at WWDC before i buy, but i plan on maxing it out 256 graphic, 2 gigs of ram.... etc

20. ammon macrumors regular

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what WWDC brings.

I've seen initial benchmarks that tend to indicate the new chips will be fast, but all Intel's designs have that stupid front side buss limitation. Stick 4 cores in one machine and they will be starving for information!

I'll probably keep my G5 for a few more years...

21. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i would get the new powermac but its so big for a college dorm. So the iMac sees ideal for now. If apple doesn't update the imacs by the end of Aug should i buy and get a free nano etc or wait and get the new revision.... I don't plan on doing anything serious with FCS, just messing around with it and learning....
    Also what comes to mind is external storage. The imac doesn't have FW800, so spending all that money on my external drive was was a waste... decisions decisions decisions....

22. ikonq macrumors member

(I said no one makes it because the same crucial search a week or two earlier propped up with zilch.)

OK - Correction; No one makes it at a good price. :p
    Crucial's costs so much it's not funny. Thats two thousand eight hundred dollars (New Zealand). A little under the cost of a New 20" iMac... Now if you want 4 GIGS, you're stuffed at those prices.

I don't have any distributors for 2GB So-Dimms of PC 5300 in australia; so i'm assuming NZEditor would have trouble getting his hands on some as well... :p

Now if he were to get two One GIG sticks of ram, it would be roughly $450-500 NZ depending on where he gets it from.

23. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

I was able to pick up 2 gigs for $144.00 US from ramseeker.com about 3 weeks ago. Not sure if you have access to that though. It works great in my 20" iMac Core Duo.

24. cancerward macrumors newbie