Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFMRPCUSER

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
N. CA
Greetings:

I have several Mac Computers a Mac Pro and an iMac. The iMac consists of the following.

OS X- 10.6.8
PROCESSOR-3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM
1-500GB Onboard Apple HD
1-1TB Western Digital Outboard HD USB Interfaced

This iMAC Computer has run very fast since I purchased it about 2 years ago. But, several weeks ago I noticed it was taking a very long time to upload RAW Images from my CF Cards. Also... when I import these RAW files into Photoshop Lightroom it takes the longest time to do this task. I use the Mac Pro from time-to-time but do not notice this slow and sluggishness like the iMac.

I have run several Disk Utilities as recommended by Associate Photographers but that does not seem to make any difference. I'm hoping that someone here on this Forum will be able to suggest some other methods to isolate or solve the problem, I'm beginning to think that the Outboard Drive has an issue. Suggestions and advice are always welcome.

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:

prettybirdmedia

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2012
iMac Lag

Hello!

I am having similar issues. Especially with Photoshop, CS5 Lightroom 3 and now Firefox and random applications.

I have noticed that the Adobe Reader Updater continuously pops up in my dock and I figure it is a trojan or some form of virus.

I've researched this online and have found a lot of conflicting info. I have avast! and it tells me my system is good - no trojans etc.

I'm not sure if the Adobe Reader Updater has anything to do with this but I have not have problems until recently and everything is running extremely slow.

If you or anyone has info on the Adobe Reader Updater or help on how to improve performance please help!

Thank you,

Here is the info on my iMac

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.20f4
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-001EC20EB3F0

AFMRPCUSER

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
N. CA
My reply 2 u

Hello!

I am having similar issues. Especially with Photoshop, CS5 Lightroom 3 and now Firefox and random applications.

I have noticed that the Adobe Reader Updater continuously pops up in my dock and I figure it is a trojan or some form of virus.

I've researched this online and have found a lot of conflicting info. I have avast! and it tells me my system is good - no trojans etc.

I'm not sure if the Adobe Reader Updater has anything to do with this but I have not have problems until recently and everything is running extremely slow.

If you or anyone has info on the Adobe Reader Updater or help on how to improve performance please help!

Thank you,

Here is the info on my iMac

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.20f4
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-001EC20EB3F0

Greetings:
Thank you for your reply... well, that makes 2 of us that have very similar problems. After some really deep digging I believe I have isolated the problem. This only occurs when writing Data to the External WD 1TB Hard-drive. I am beginning to believe that this outboard drive is the source of the problems. I wrote some files to the internal HD as a comparative test and it ran like lightning. We believe we have put our finger on the problem. I have an extra Laice 1TB that I'm plugging in tonight this will rule in or out the other HD. TNX Agn.

fred.bloggs

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
Greetings:

I have run several Disk Utilities as recommended by Associate Photographers but that does not seem to make any difference. I'm hoping that someone here on this Forum will be able to suggest some other methods to isolate or solve the problem, I'm beginning to think that the Outboard Drive has an issue. Suggestions and advice are always welcome.

Regards,

You don't state what tools you used or tests you have run.

I have experienced extreme slowdown on two different macs, both were due to hard disk issues (one close to death, the other required the Volume structures to be rebuilt). Both returned to their former glory.

I used tech tool pro (booted from USB stick)

Run Tests:
SMART status - Look at the detail, not the overall result
Surface Scan - Any problems here is almost certainly a bad drive
Volume Structures - These can be rebuilt if you are lucky.

ALLWAYS BACKUP FIRST!

Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.