iMac Sales Plummet

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rice_web, Jun 25, 2002.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Ummm

Its not iMac sales plummet...

Its economy plummets....

Get it?

2. rice_web thread starter macrumors 6502a

rice_web

No....

Because of the upcoming MWNY, iMac sales are stale.

It is partially due to the slow economy, but increased notebook sales and the upcoming MWNY account for most of the decreased sales.

3. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I'm not sure why people would stop buying iMacs because the expo is coming up... I doubt there'll be an update...

4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Hmmmm

Well, if thats what you want to call it...

Even though all Peecee and Apple machine's sales are plummeting...

ALong with the economy!

5. rice_web thread starter macrumors 6502a

rice_web

C'Mon guys! If you had taken the time to notice, you'd have seen that notebook sales are rising at an amazingly fast rate. Desktops are just a little to big and clunky for today's users I guess.

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

If that is so about notebook sales that means at least one of three things:
    (1) People have been waiting for a revision.
    (2) People still endorse Titanium.
    (3) Some people may have decided to also purchase Titanium knives as well! :cool:

Attached Files:

7. rice_web thread starter macrumors 6502a

rice_web

Not Apple laptops! Laptop sales are up everywhere but with Apple (although iBook sales are supposed to be fairly impressive). Dell (even according to the article) is enjoying fantastic success in the laptop market, which still enjoys fairly high margins.

8. MR Lurker macrumors newbie

I raised this in another topic (apologies for the repetition), but it is my belief that the current FP iMac is the last *consumer* desktop from Apple we will ever see.

Professionals will always need their towers for extra power and expandability; and the education market needs desktops for robustness. But more and more, the consumer market values mobility and bandwidth over power. I think we are seeing this in the sales figures for both PC and Mac.

If I'm right, then the next evolution of the consumer Macintosh will surely be mobile/portable.

The mMac?!?!?!?!

9. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

iMac Slump

Its not surprising that inventories are growing. For a while Apple has [apparantly] been shipping 5,000 iMacs/day to play catch up and with the price increase and slumping economy people are holding off. If Apple can update the iMacs at MWNY (to say, 933Mhz or 1GHz) and drop the prices back down to their original listings (as component prices have now stablized) sales will climb again.

Bill

10. rice_web thread starter macrumors 6502a

rice_web

I almost feel that Apple is now compelled to update the iMacs due to the terrible sales.

The only way to ship out these iMacs is a price-cut; and the only way that Steve Jobs will go about cutting these prices is through an upgraded product.

11. coolocity macrumors regular

I can understand why this is happening. Many people aern't sure about the expo, and I'm sure they would be kicking themselves if they bought one now, and did miss something. I'm waiting till after the expo, just in case.

12. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

This is exactly why Apple needs to change the way they introduce new products. They can't afford to wait for the Expos to introduce new Macs and upgrades. Customers are conditioned to wait until after the MW's to buy. This makes for very inconsistent sales. Exactly what Wall Street is NOT looking for.

They've seem to have gotten the hint and are introducing products when they're ready. If they continue this trend, then customers will be conditioned to buy when they need/want to, not just after the MWs.

This is why I think that there's a chance that there won't be any new Macs or upgrades introduced at MWNY. Slim chance at that, but it would be a bold stance for Apple.