iMac sales "rebounding"

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by gopher, Jan 4, 2003.

1. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: iMac sales "rebounding"

hell yeah they are right. we cant even keep those powerbooks in stock. people are taking them like a bucket of candy. everytiem i come into work someone wants to buy one and we dont have one. luckily they are shipping in no time. just a couple of days and we have some more. those powerbooks wouldnt sell as good if they didnt have those superdrives in there. i have a question for any other salesperson. do you ever have a customer who buys a mac with a superdrive and they call you and get mad because you tell you arent able to burn movies because tof the whole dvd5-9 thing. i get that a llot. just wanted to know from soem other people.

iJon

2. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Re: Re: iMac sales "rebounding"

For those of us who don't yet have a superdrive Mac but see one in our futures, could you clarify exactly what you mean by the "whole dvd5-9 thing"? I need to make sure I'm not going to be one of those upset customers down the road. :) I mean, I assume you can still use iMovie and iDVD to turn MiniDV tape into watchable DVDs (my primary purpose), but what is it you can't do? Are your angry customers wanting to create movies that are too large to fit within the 4.7G single layer format?

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I believe he means people want to copy DVD's like you would rip and burn a CD. But i'm not sure... i don't know if that's the name for DVD piracy protection...

:)
    pnw

4. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Oh... Jeez, I hadn't even thought about that (which will probably make the MPAA happy). I guess I feel more or less like I get my money's worth buying DVDs off the shelf. The annoyance associated with trying to download or borrow and burn a copy of a DVD is a higher cost to me than the monetary cost of just buying the disc.(*) Besides, blank DVDs aren't yet nearly so cheap as blank CDs. If that's all the problem is, then it's no problem at all. The angry customers are just st00pid. ;)

(*) Unlike the music industry, where the discs are overpriced and the content they're generating is generally so terrible that I wouldn't even waste a good blank CD on burning a copy of it. I've neither bought a CD nor downloaded an MP3 in probably more than a year (which will probably not make the RIAA happy, but having worked on the periphery of the music industry, I really hope the RIAA chokes and dies).

5. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

The "DVD5-9 thing" is not the name for DVD-ripping or DVD-protection, but the types of DVDs with larger than 4.7 GB capacities. The superdrives can't burn DVDs larger than that... you need commercial burners for that (which are very very expensive)... the thing is that most movie DVDs these days are being made on these larger capacity DVDs. People can krack the copy-protection encryptions easily, but since mose people don't want to get in the hassle of ripping the movies a frame per second and then lowering the resolution, quality of video, etc. of the DVDs just to burn them, making the movies on the larger DVDs is the most effective way of stopping piracy, nad the movie-makers have realised that. Many times the movies aren't that big to justify the larger DVDs, but they still put them on the larger ones just to prevent them from being ripped. But you can still find commercial DVDs on 4.7 discs, so you're not toatlly out of luck, even though the number of those discs are decreasing dramatically.

irmongoose

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Re: Re: iMac sales "rebounding"

the guy above me probably already explained but i will do it again. there are many types of dvd discs, but they two main ones are dvdr-5's and dvdr-9's. 5's contain 4.7gb and 9's contain about 8 or nine. 5's are the ones consumers can buy. 9's are the ones most movies come one now, a lot of the first dvds came on 5's. you cant buy 9's becasue they are made the with the movie in a factory, not burned on if i remember right. we had someone from apple come to our town for our business and talk to us about idvd and dvd studio pro. he explained why you couldnt burn movies. now there are some software which you can split the movie to two disks but all the time it takes and plus the chances of it working right youi might as well just go buy the movie.

iJon

7. Blackcat macrumors regular

Simply put...

DVD5 is 4.7Gb of data on 1 layer
    DVD9 is 9.4Gb of data on 2 layers
    DVD18 is 18Gb of data on 2 layers each side

Superdrives can only use DVD5 discs, and store about 4.4Gb once it's formated as video.

8. Bradcoe macrumors regular

Double sided ?

Are there any double sided DVD5's? Just curious to see if the super drive can use a disc with about 9gigs total.