imac screen magnified/tried everything

Discussion in 'OS X' started by harponia, May 25, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

I am truly desperate for some help...my G4 desktop 10.3.9 suddenly made everything on my desktop screen magnified and enlarged. I need to get everything back to normal size.

I have tried: shutting down the computer-
    My mouse is just a plastic oval with no ball so pushing control and dragging doesn't work-
    I have gone to the Zoom page under Universal Access/preferences but my computer does not have the squiggly signed key they are telling me I need to erase the zoom if that is what is happening here-

I believe I was in preferences,trying to get my doc bar back up again when this happened. I may have also been in safari, which I think has some kind of zoom thing for this computer.

I am in the middle of a big work project and really need help.
    Thanks so much!

2. macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Sounds like the resolution has changed in the display preferences.

3. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

You turned on Zoom in Universal Access accidentally. This is easily fixed - open System Preferences and uncheck "Turn on Zoom".

4. macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

5. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

The key combination you're looking for is Control-Option-Command-F5. The Command key may also simply be labeled with an Apple symbol :apple: on your keyboard. That will turn off Screen Zoom if that's what you turned on. Also check the display resolution under System Preferences -> Displays as Jolly Jimmy suggested.

jW

6. macrumors 601

What makes you think the OP has not tried that? ;)

7. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

His post. The OP very clearly stated that they couldn't find the key that was referenced, so obviously they did not use that keyboard shortcut in an attempt to turn off screen zoom, since they did not know what it was.

jW

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Screen magnified/Thanks

So I called the independent mac store here in Berkeley and was told that it was indeed the resolution which somehow had gotten switched. So now the documents are the same size again...only now I can't get my desktop pictures to stretch to fill the screen!
    MANY thanks to all of you who answered me.
    Harponia

9. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

I assume you checked the Desktop options in System Preferences? I'd switch the stretch options to something else and then back if it's not working properly right now. Glad you got the other issue figured out!

jW

10. macrumors 601

:D You glossed over the ;) in my post. I was referring to the title "...tried everything". That's one of my favorites, right up there with a statement followed by question marks.

11. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

Ah. Gotcha. No worries.

jW