Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omnilacee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
Hi,
unfortunately, my iMac has fallen down on my desk, the result is a crack on the screen. The replacement of the screen is a "little bit" costly... :-(
So, my question is; is there a way to "wired out" the video sign into a TFT? I thought it would be much cheaper to buy a TFT and connect it as the main screen for the iMac (and I put it before the iMac... :) )

And yes, I know, there is an VGA out on the iMac, but it is in use (I use/need 2 monitor setup, therefore, that is not a solution to use this connection; and it is a poor vga sign, and I don't want to use it as a main screen).

Thats the situation... :-S

Thanks your answers.

forgottensoft

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2007
Vermont, USA
There is no feasable way to do the hack you suggest. The LCD uses a special ribbon cable to connect to the logic board, not including the power board. So, although it may be possible, its highly doubtful. I would invest in getting the screen replaced. The glass should not be too expensive. The best idea for a hack may be buy a 20inch LCD screen any TFT, and attemp to hack it into the case of your imac. A good 20inch TFT can be bought for about $250

omnilacee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
How much do they want for the screen? its only a sheet of glass.

Yeah, you're right, it's just a glass.
But it seems, they "measure" it in the price of gold... :-S The dealer mailed me; probably it costs near half a price of a new iMac. (cca $500)
So....
:mad::(:eek::confused:

(Thats why I thought, to hack it, like forgottensoft said)

Edit:
Opps, I think we misunderstand each other, I forgot to write down, thats a 1st gen intel iMac, not the newer; glassy one, so I'm wrong, probably it is not a simple glass, this is the lcd screen own, what has that crack (the crystals damaged).

tsd

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
Pennsylvania
Yeah, it sounds like you need an actual display replacement. I wouldn't have the guts to replace it myself, but good luck if you do! Post pics if you go through with it!

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I don't know which iMac you have but this site has a couple replacement parts:

20" G5 iMac glass $79.95:

http://www.welovemacs.com/9228212.html

24" Intel iMac glass $109.95:

http://www.welovemacs.com/9228180.html

Hope this helps!

He said he's got a matte screen iMac and the crack is in the LCD panel itself (damaged crystals).

I'm trying to figure out just what the heck the G5 iMac "glass" is. I had a Core Duo 20" iMac and I'd heard it was the same case as the G5 that came before it. There was no glass, just the matte screen.

Is that a special release of the G5 or a third party addon I wonder??

daesup45

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
i have the same problem and i want to know what u did? if u replaced the screen or got it repaired at somewhere else

majortrout

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2009
Those Shiny Imac 27" Screens

Hello,

I 'll join the discussion. I'm wondering if there is a textured plastic laminate that could go over the screen. This would then allow the image to get through, but cut down on the glare.

Stacey Bindman
Montreal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.