iMac Screen Size Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cgratti, Jan 8, 2005.

1. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

What are the "actual" sizes of the screens for the 17" & 20" iMacs?

I have read the 17" iMac's screen is the same size as a 19" CRT screen. If correct, is the 20" screen is the same as a 22" CRT?

2. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

It means that the viewable size of an iMac 17" will be about the same as a viewable size of a 17" CRT .. the CRT will still look bigger .. more might fir on a CRT depending on its resolution ..

It always sounded more like a marketing trick anyway ..

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

The sizes are measured diagnaly across the screen.

4. cgratti thread starter macrumors 6502a

cgratti

I know, can someone witn an iMac please measue the size of the screen on a 20" and 17" for me.

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

You've got that backwards... a 19" CRT has 18" viewable inches... a 17" LCD has 17" viewable inches. So a LCD will give you more screen-estate per "advertised" inch than a CRT. So, for example, a 17" LCD would have the save vieable screen space as an 18" CRT, if such a thing were made. And, actually, alot of LCDs are acutally .1" bigger than advertised, and alot of CRTs are .1" smaller than even the 1" 'standard' deduction. So a 19" CRT is often 17.9" viewable inchesd, and a 17" LCD is often 17.1" viewable inches. In practice an LCD is often times as 'good' as a CRT 2" bigger.

To answer the OP, I don't have an iMac, but I am pretty sure that the 17" iMac is a full 17". It is however a widescreen aspect ratio, so in terms of SQUARE inches, it has less than an equally sized (17 VIEWABLE inches) standard screen of either LCD or CRT.

Rob