Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
London
Is there any way to sleep the screen on a G5 iMac without sleeping the whole computer.

Sometimes i want to turn the screen off without sleeping the machine, (if i have something running overnight) but i can't seem to find a way to do that, other than changing the setting in the energy saver panel to 1 min. This is a less than optimal solution.

So i guess the question is, is there a way to just put the screen to sleep with a quick keystroke or an applescript etc?

Benj

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2004
London
Not sure I understand.

In energy saver there are two sliders - one for sleeping the screen, the other for sleeping the computer.

Set the one for the computer over to the far right - i.e. "never".

Set the one for screen to 30 mins or whatever.

Zaid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
London
Benj said:
Not sure I understand.

In energy saver there are two sliders - one for sleeping the screen, the other for sleeping the computer.

Set the one for the computer over to the far right - i.e. "never".

Set the one for screen to 30 mins or whatever.

That's the way i have it now.

But since my mac is in my bedroom, there are times when i just want to turn the screen off immediately, without sleeping the whole machine, and without effecting my normal sleep screen time.

At the moment, if i want to do this i have to open up energy saver, then move the 'sleep screen' slider to 1 min. Then when i wake the screen in the morning, i have to move energy slider back to 15 min. Its just a very cumbersome way of turning off the screen (immediately) while leaving the machine running.

On an iBook, for instance, you can turn the screen brightness down all the way so that the screen is off even though the machine is still 'awake' and downloading or encoding or whatever.

Zaid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
London
blodwyn said:
How about setting up a hot corner to engage your screensaver, and then create and pick a picture that's all black for your screensaver

Thanks, that's a good idea. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.