iMac Screen Specs: IPS or PVA?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by freebooter, Oct 12, 2006.

1. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

After much searching, I can't find any clear information on the spec.s of the screens currently used in the 20 and 24 inch iMacs. I want to know because I am going to upgrade my computer very soon, and I do a fair bit of photo editing. I've come to realize the limitations of PVA-type monitor.
    Ill get an iMac if it has a photo-friendly (i.e. IPS) screen. Otherwise I may have to choose between underkill (mac mini) and over kill (macpro). (A ridiculous situation, really)

Anyone know the details on these iMac screens?

2. mahonmeister macrumors 6502

I'm guessing it has a PVA screen. To most people that is fine and it keeps the cost of the iMac low. Not sure though. Some guy here had a forum post explaining the different screen types so that's what I'm basing my info on.

I'm not trying to fuel the fire here but this is where a single processor tower would really fit in nicely in Apple's line-up. Even a single processor Mac Pro would be nice but I'd like something a little smaller.

3. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

If you have an Apple retailer close to where you live, I strongly suggest you go and have a look at the 24" iMac and judge for yourself :)

4. freebooter thread starter macrumors 65816

freebooter

I'd love to, but, though this town I'm in has around 3 million people, the one Apple store here is woefully inadequate. As of last week they had a 17" imac, a macbook, and a macpro hooked up to a 20" acd. This is much improved over last year when they had no computers on display. :confused: I think my best bet is to go to Seoul and their Apple center.

5. mahonmeister macrumors 6502

Sorry to be off topic but, did you feel the quake caused by the nuke? They said it was a 4.1 or something.

6. freebooter thread starter macrumors 65816

freebooter

No, but i wish I had. On another side note: there was a lot of extra military air traffic this afternoon, it seemed to me.

7. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

8. freebooter thread starter macrumors 65816

freebooter

Thanks, mrogers
    I remember reading something similar a while back, about the 20" being a higher quality screen. Where did you see this info?

I'm thinking a 20" plus a 2nd lcd (20" acd?) will make a great extended desktop. More mobile, too, if and when I'll have to pull up stakes.

9. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I know that the 20" screen is an LG S-IPS panel. You can Google it if you want more info. I also know that no one makes a 24" IPS panel. There's 23" IPS (like in the Apple LCD), but the only 24" panels are PVA.

This does make a great setup, and is exactly what I have; take a look at mine at http://rogersmj.com/tech/workstations. I have the 20" iMac and then also purchased the Dell 2007wfp because it has the exact same IPS panel as the iMac. Both of my screens are bright with rich colors and look identical to one another. This approach also gives you a lot more screen real estate than a 24" iMac for less money.