iMac screen turns white

Discussion in 'iMac' started by frogfroggy, Oct 15, 2006.

1. frogfroggy macrumors member

Sep 22, 2006
    Hey guys,
    we have a problem with our iMac, when my mom was watching a movie at the end of the film the screen turned white. My mom tried to push buttons and pressed the mouse and such but nothing happened. She then called me and asked me what is wrong, I told her to unplug the power cord and then restart.
    And well when she restarted the computer everything was fine. What actually happened there? She was watching maybe 45-60 minutes...
  2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006
    To be honest with you I have no idea what was wrong and what made it happen. But, here's a suggestion regarding pulling the power supply. Instead of cutting off the power, which frankly isnt too good for the computer, just hold the power button for 5 seconds.

If that problem doesn't occur again, don't worry about it.
  3. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2006
    I don't know what happend to the screen but she could of tried force quitting.. (theres a short cut for it but I dont know it :p) So if it happends again try force quit. But i dont own a mac at all so i could just be chatting poop but its just a suggestion
  4. someguy macrumors 68020

Dec 4, 2005
    Still here.
    Sounds to me like the last frame in the movie was white and the app failed to exit Fullscreen mode when it was over.

But, what do I know. :confused:
  5. crees! macrumors 68000

Jun 14, 2003
    I agree with someguy. You can have video files where the last frame is white (instead of black). And if it was playing fullscreen you probably just needed to press ESC or a shortcut key to take it out of fullscreen mode. Most likely this is it and I wouldn't worry about. Next time give it a try.
  6. frogfroggy thread starter macrumors member

Sep 22, 2006
    Yes that might have happened, and well I wasnt there and Force quitting, try explaining it to a mother who doesnt have a clue of computers. Well anyways if it doesnt happen again then its ok. ^^