Imac screen Versus Apple Studio Display

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by i_wolf, Aug 12, 2002.

1. i_wolf macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    Hi all,
    maybe i am posting in the wrong section... if so apologies but i always seam to get good advice from those in here so here goes.
    I am going to hopefully buy a new powermac within the next two to three weeks and it doesn't come with a monitor as you all know. Now i am waiting on the machine to see whether G5 or G4 speed bumped but i figured no real advancement in monitors available is to be expected or am i wrong. Anyway when i went into my local apple store the other day i saw the demonstration iMac with the 17" widescreen. They also had the apple studio display 17" there. Now i know that image quality is all down to your own personal pref. The imac to me seamed to have a far superior image quality than apples separate studio displays. Would i be right in assuming that imac is using a newer technology in its imac displays.. which leads me to another question that i would like answered. If you were buying a new screen for a power mac, (the 17" is the one im interested in) is it worth the +€1100 apple are (over) charging.... or would i be better off to go and buy a monitor from another manufacturer??? What is the best monitor around the €1000 to use with a powermac... from an image quality point of view. I work a lot with 3d graphics.... and do some divx and mpeg 4 work etc...
    Your advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated,
    Regards to you all (and hears hoping steve pulls a g5 outa his hat)
  2. Mr Jobs macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2002
    London, England
    well steve jobs did say when he unvailed the new imac that it had an updated display the the studio series. however expect new updated studio displays along with the new PowerMac
  3. Liamcow macrumors member

Jun 16, 2002
    Hyannis, MA
    #3 is not overcharging, apple studio displays are the only LCDs to use digital signals, and the case design is more expensive to make, so you are paying for quality product. if you want an LCD for $350 go to staples:D