imac sleep mode?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jbuba, Oct 28, 2005.

1. jbuba macrumors member

quick question about sleep mode. the default setting is for the computer to enter sleep mode automatically after abour 45 minutes of inactivity. what is considered inactivity? lets say i have a que of say 20 downloads or some type of video encoding that will take longer than 45 minutes that i start it in the morning before work. assuming no one touches the computer from that time until i get home that evening, will the computer go into sleep mode 45 minutes after i leave and not finish the task, or will it finish all the tasks and then enter sleep 45 minutes after completion?

2. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I believe it is the second of the two scenarios - it will wait until any tasks have been completed before the 45 min countdown starts.

I currently have my system setup so that it will sleep after 20 mins of inactivity, but my Mail is set up so that it checks automatically every 5 mins. The result is that my Mac never automatically sleeps - I have to do it manually. This is a daft setup, and I just haven't been bothered to change it, but it illustrates that you can leave the computer doing what you need it to and it will sleep when it is done rather than interrupt the downloads or whatever.

3. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

My mac automatically sleeps after 15 mins of inactivity though my mail is set to check for new message every minute. I don't have to do it manually :rolleyes:

4. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Hmm...had just assumed that this was why it had stopped sleeping automatically - it coincided exactly as to when I installed wireless broadband.

I will have to investigate this when I get home tonight.

5. Atlasland macrumors 6502

netither do i

6. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

FIY I'm on wireless network too :)

But I wonder why it sleeps too while I'm on RealPlayer listening to radio.