iMac Slot Loading DVD drive in a old Power Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by LimeiBook86, May 26, 2002.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I want to know if I can put a iMac Slot Loading DVD drive in an old Power Mac, like a 7500 or a 7100, or a early G4!? I want to know this because there is one for sale on ebay, at a good price too! The URL is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2026161816 so you guys can check it out. Please try and help me. Thanks bye!;)

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

G3 Cube?! I assume that's a typo...

I would hesitate to say that it would work on anything older than a G3, simply because of the decoding that's involved.

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

One, it uses ATA/EIDE for an interface, so unless your older PowerMac has that, forgetabout it. as for the early G4... why would you want to??? One, it won't look right. Two, it probably won't fit right. Finally, it might not work right. If you don't have a dvd decoder built into the video card (like you will not have on the older PowerMac models you listed) the drive will be virtually useless. All it will do is read cd's and data dvd's. You WON'T be able to view dvds/movies on the 7100 or 7500. I know for a fact that a 7100 is ONLY SCSI inside, and it appears that the 7500 series is too.

Don't waste your money, unless you feel like getting some hardware that will either be useless or not fully functional...

4. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

oh yeahhhh.....

I forgot about all that decoding crap, and the ATA and SCSI thing, thanks, but its still a good deal for someone who needs a replacement, right?

...right? :eek:

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

ummmm.. in a single word... "NO!!"

I would NEVER trust an item from ebay. especially a component that has been ripped from a computer. I would suspect it's origin as well as why it is being sold. If you need a replacement drive for a slot loading iMac, there are better ways to do it. For one, you can get a replacement drive from Apple, or your local service provider. It might cost a few dollars more, but at least the drive will be NEW, NOT used.

Ummm... another thing Bubba... remove the ---- from your sig... and I would pull your email address too, unless you really want some bad stuff coming your way.