Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jokr10ae

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
Hello,

My problem is that my imac is running slow. I have upgraded to 24gb ram for (Bought 2x8gram). But I still think my Imac is running slow. Using long time to boot, and long time to open programs.

So I downloaded Blackmagic disk speed test, and compared my macbook pro 15 with my imac. And it shows that my macbook pro is 3 times faster than my Imac. I thought is should be opposite.

I can not figure out what is wrong with me Imac, I have tried to factory reset my Imac but did not help.

Please help.

Attatched screenshots of speed test:
Skjermbilde_2016_11_21_kl_10_29_17.png
Skjermbilde_2016_11_21_kl_10_29_25.png

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Your MacBook has an SSD. Your iMac has a physical hard-drive (1TB 7200RPM if you didn't BTO). They're worlds apart with performance.

jokr10ae

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
ok. So my Imac is supposed to be slower than my macbook. It has a fusion drive system, so ut has a little ssd hard-drive.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
If you have the 1 TB fusion drive in the iMac it only has the tiny 24 GB SSD. Not much will fit before it will stop increasing speed. The MacBook Pro is pure SSD so it will always be faster.

You can get the 2 TB or higher fusion drive which has the 128 GB SSD (which will be faster), or switch to pure SSD for speed. Alternatively, you can get a external SSD and put the OS and apps onto it, but that is a little involved.

From the speed test your iMac reads are half of the MacBook Pro, so even in the best case it will never be as fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.