iMac Sold HELP

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by StarbucksSam, May 8, 2005.

1. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I just sold my iMac G4. I was wiping the HD with my Tiger Up-To-Date Disk and it never ejected. Now, I can't get it out, and it's trying to do a network startup. I plugged it in to the network but it came up with nothing. I even tried zapping the PRAM and got nothing. I'm getting the flashing folder with question mark icon. And my disk is still in the computer. WHAT DO I DO?

It's got to ship TOMORROW.

2. thatdarnfish macrumors regular

hmmmm.

1. try holding down the option key when restarting and then after the screen comes up which allows you to choose from which disk to start up, press the eject key on your keyboard.
    2.alternitively, hold down the e key when starting up
    3. or, if your CD drive has a little hole in the front cover, you can push in a paper clip which will manually eject the disk.
    good luck!

3. StarbucksSam thread starter macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

The situation is SLIGHTLY better. At least now it's responding, but that took taking out a RAM chip and zapping the PRAM thrice. However, the option key doesn't want to let me use anything but the disk.. which the iMac is holding hostage.

4. StarbucksSam thread starter macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

GOT IT. Option command OF to open firmware then "eject Cd".

5. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Glad to see you got it worked out. :D ;) :p

6. StarbucksSam thread starter macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Once again man has triumphed over machine. That was one hellish ordeal.

For those of you who will ever need help with this, here is my advice to you:

When your computer is stuck and will not eject a CD and is trying to boot to a disk that it can't boot to AND you are locked out of the firmware because you put a password on it that you can't remember:

First, you can reset that Firmware password. You take out a stick of RAM thereby changing the amount of RAM that was in the computer in total. You then zap the PRAM using option-command-P-R three times. You can then put your RAM back in.

Then you boot into Open Firmware by starting up and using option-command-O-F and typing in "eject cd" in the prompt.

Tah-dah.

iMac fought me because it didn't want it to go because it was so loved. Bye, Iris. Packed, boxed, in trunk of Mommy's car to go to FedEx/Kinko's tomorrow. :)

7. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

You're supposed to hold the mouse button down while booting, not the e key. That's always worked for me.

Oh well, you got it sorted out... Always sad to see a machine go... :(

reality