iMac to be better value in Europe? Cinema Display price hike?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mpw, Nov 17, 2004.

1. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Following a European decision that any display with DVI connections is to be classed as a TV by customs a 14% import tax is to be charged against most LCD displays including Apple’s Cinema Display.

Of course any Wintel vendor trying to compete with Apple’s consumer iMac may find their pricing squeezed also.

What will this mean?

14% more incentive to emulate the all-in-one design of the iMac?

A new (or several new) ‘standard’ to replace DVI that circumvent the customs tariff?

Will Apple follow the herd’s pricing a pocket the 14%?
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Well isn't that just dandy :mad: Just another reason to rip us off.
  3. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Sorry if I'm talking nonsense but couldn't they switch production to Ireland and follow principles of Euro free trade so no import duty?

Or will Apple just switch Europe back to ADC connectors? :p
  4. mpw thread starter Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    They could switch manufacture to Europe but at what cost? Samsung I believe are building LCD's in eastern Europe for this reason but I imagine these panels are destined for a lower price point and higher volumes.

A switch away from DVI is a possibility and Apple are probably best placed to do this with ADC. However this route would require whichever conecter is used to be licenced by the manufacturer only for use with a PC because any 3rd party making an adapter is going to come to the attention of customs who'll then close that loophole.

I think (barring any change of customs tariff) the 14% will be accepted as enevitable across the industry and we'll see more all-in-one solutions like Elonex's 30" media PC.
  5. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    LCD fabs aren't moving anywhere... they cost billions...

sounds pretty ridiculous, actually. you need a lot more than just DVI inputs to watch TV on those. i imagine LCD sellers will protest the law before they move anything.
  6. mpw thread starter Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    They can protest all they like but it's not a new law and I can tell you from personal experience customs do what they want when they want with more power to enforce their will then most people realize.

I agree LCD fabs won't move because of this. I also agree it's rediculous. If you're from the US you may not be aware but in Europe we get two versions of most DV camcorders I have a Canon MV30 with DV-out, I could of got a MV30i but the i and the DV-in it stands for would have cost an extra 14% because of this duty. Of course it's just a software thing and the instructions to convert are available on the web but of course it no longer has a warranty.