iMac to fit on ma desk!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SBT, Sep 20, 2006.

1. SBT macrumors member

I love the new iMacs and am thinking of buying one for Christmas (or recieving one). The only problem is - i really like the 20" and 17". I think the 20" will be best for the screen size and specs - but its the cost i am concerned about. Can anyone tell me if the extra cost is worth it or should i just get a 17" (with the best specs)

I am currently using a Mac mini G4 and my desk (and mac) can be viewed by clicking on this link>>>MY MAC MINI AND DESK

2. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

I'd go for a 20" if I had the cash. You can for $75 upgrade to a 256 MB X1600 which will last you longer and look much more impressive spec wise. The 20" also comes with 250 GB HDD.

Of course the larger screen and the 1.7 mpx vs. the 1.3 mpx on the 17".

Go 20"!:D

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i agree with Josias... go with the 20". more screen space and a larger hard drive are always good. if you can't afford it, the 17" is still an excellent choice. you pretty much can't go wrong with the current iMac line.

4. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

In terms of RAM and hard drive space, you can always upgrade later. I believe that the processor is upgradable as well. The monitor on the iMac is not upgradeable. In my opinion it is better to spend the extra money to get the size monitor you want now and upgrade the RAM, hard drive, processor, or whatever else later. Plus the 20" comes with better specs off the bat any way.

5. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

1. The come with the excact same amount of RAM.
    2. You have to be really pro to take apart an iMac and upgrade the HDD.
    3. There's a 160 MHz difference in the processors. Why would you upgrade them?
    4. Yes, you can get an Apple Cinema Display.

Think before you post:p

6. SBT thread starter macrumors member

Yeh..thanks eyeryone...*starts saving up*:p

Has anyone of you got an iMac 20" and 17" (maybe not one person have 2 comps but one have a 20" and another have a 17"). If so could you provide me with some basic specs like how long it takes to start up and resolution quality

Thanks

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

as far as size, I've seen plenty of posts here from people with 17" imacs saying they wish they had bought the 20" but I haven't seen any from people with the 20" saying they wish they had bought the 17"

8. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I used both and i can tell you its worth teh extra $$$ for the larger screen. If you however cant or dont want to pay that much you can always get an old screen and add it as an external :)

9. SBT thread starter macrumors member

LOL...yeah. I'll probs regret it if i got the 17":p

btw...do you recon it will fit on ma desk (currently a 14" display). VIEW MY DESK

NOW THOUGH 24"...does anyone have one they could tell me about speed and also the size. I can imagine myself getting a neck injury from moving from the Dock to the top of the screen:eek:

10. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

In his original post, he asked whether he should get a 20" or a 17" with the best specs.
    I assumed that by "with the best specs" that he was maxing out the model on the Apple store.
    i was simply pointing out that it seems to make more sense to me to buy the 20" with the minimum than to max out the 17", if you need the monitor space. You can always upgrade the 20" later. As for the monitor, those Apple displays are outrageously expensive and hardly worth the cost. Plus, not eveyone is going to want to go the double monitor route.

I stand corrected on the hard drive issue. I was mistakedly under the impression that the hard drive replacement on the newer iMacs was an easy updgrade. Shame on Apple for not making it that way as hard drives are the first thing to die on a computer.

11. dcv macrumors G3

I started with the 17" iMac G5, which looked very impressive compared to my 12" PowerBook screen. After a while though I found myself drawn to the 20" so bought one of those too... I'd say definitely go for the 20" if you can afford to do so.

I don't think fan noise is as big an issue with the Intel-based iMacs but my 17" iMac G5 is noticeably noisier than the 20" iMac G5. Both are the same spec otherwise; I guess there's just more crammed into a smaller space with the 17" model so it runs hotter.

12. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Allright. Dammit Josias, read before you post.

Well, I'd still get a 20" since 2 GB is overkill unless you're gonna do intensive gaming/graphics work.

Yeah, though ACD's look sweet, it may not be the way to get a larger screen.

They're same price as other equivalent screens though.

13. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

14. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Yes you do (so do I and everyone I know :p).

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

He's saying you can upgrade the CPUs later. He means he can buy a faster Merom or something later on and upgrade the current CPU with a faster one if he chose to.

He can also upgrade the HDD. It's not easy, but it's not impossible for someone to do at home.

So yes, those two points do make sense.

I agree with both of you and get the 20" iMac, but like Baleensavage said.......other things like RAM, CPU, and HD are upgradable, but the screen of the iMac is not, so I'd also rather get a "low end" 20" iMac and upgrade slowly rather than a top end 17" iMac and be set spec-wise.