imac to hdmi

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jer446, Feb 10, 2007.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

I just bought a new tv for my room. I want to hook up my 20 inch iMac g5 to it, so i can watch movies and do whatver else i want. The problem is, the computer only has vga (using the mini vga thing to vga) so if i got a normal dvi-vga adapter, and then get a dvi to hdmi cable, will this work?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No. You need a digital signal, as far as I know, going into the HDMI. If the TV does not have VGA, your next best bet is component -- you should be able to get a VGA-component cable that doesn't sacrifice much of anything in terms of quality.

Some examples here.

3. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok thanks for that.. So i am looking for a vga to component cable.. i will have to read that over.. is there any other place to get it? Will i get overscan, or will it work just like my plasma does.. plug it in.. and it looks great.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It really depends on what your TV can do, to be honest. Some TVs do not like to display computer resolutions over component inputs.... If your TV does HDMI and component and doesn't do either DVI or VGA, you may just end up with a lot of trouble any-which-way getting a computer to work with it. I know that I shopped specifically for one with a VGA port for this reason.

The only thing I can really say in terms of knowing what to expect is to google for the model number and experiences with VGA outputting computers.