iMac two monitors

Discussion in 'macOS' started by andyface, Nov 14, 2006.

1. andyface macrumors newbie

On my iMac there is one mini-DVI output. I have a Panasonic flatscreen TV connected to that output and would love to see Movies on it and continue working on other things on the iMac screen. However, if I want to go to full screen mode to see the video nicely on TV, the full screen mode is executed on my monitor of the iMac and not the TV. -
    (I have managed to work around it by moving the menu bar to the TV screen in the preference settings for displays, then double click the movie to go to full screen mode, but before that double click, make sure that all apps that are open and I'm working on are moved to the iMac screen (now without menu/dock) - just a little too much of a drag, really!)

Does anyone have a tip regarding this limitation? - is there a software/share- or freeware that could help solving the issue?

My other question regards the resolution to be selected in the display prefs for the VGA out / TV. The specs of the TV says 1024 x 720 pixels, but doesnt specify the frequency in Hz I should select from the list in the display prefs. -

thanks a lot for any inputs!

iMac, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 1GB DDR2 SDRAM, bus: 667 MHz running OSX Tiger Version 10.4.6

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I want to say that if you drag the movie display window to the external screen, so that it is completely on the external screen without any part of it on the built-in screen, and *then* select full screen, it will send it to full screen on the external screen.

Also, if you're using QT to directly view the movies, I think you can go to the QT preferences and select where you want fullscreen....

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i remember seeing a script or something that makes front row open on a seperate screen if thats what your using (though it will black out the imac screen so still no app using, it was on osxhints.com, do a search, they are generally very good with this sort of thing

4. 1gd4all macrumors newbie

How to Move Video to extenal Monitor on Imac

This problem frustrated me to know end until I did the following! First start the video in full screen mode and it will appear on the main monitor. After this is done drag your mouse to the top of the screen and wait for the menu tabs to appear at the top of the page. Click on view and come down to exit full screen and click on it and your video will appear on the external monitor! At this time you can go into full screen mode. Your done , pass it on!

1gd4all

5. fhall1 macrumors 68030

fhall1

You do realize you replied to a nine year old thread - right? Pretty sure the original issues were either resolved or forgotten about long ago