Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Great. Now my iMac is obsolete. I wished it stayed current at least a few months more.

Same boat here. All technology becomes obsolete, though. At least we got in after the redesign. You could always sell your old one and buy a new one at a loss of a few hundred...it's just a pain in the ass to ship those huge things, though.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
I can't remember when I've used a CD/DVD last time.

- Apps are downloaded from the web and the App Store.
- I get my music from iTunes, Spotify or Beatport.
- Movies are streamed through Netflix and other VOD services.
- OSX is downloaded from the App Store.

I don't see anything that justifies an optical drive in a 2013 computer. Maybe it's just me being modern. But I really don't think many uses the optical drive anymore.
I could remember when i used a cd/dvd....games....movies..and burn cd

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Who needs an optical drive? Well.... I do for sure. An all-in-one isn't complete without opitcal drive. As long as there isn't any alternative for files larger than 2 GB this machine is limp.

IMO

I only used my optical drive for DVDs, then I picked up a TV and PS3 (for bluray) and I haven't gone back. All my games are from Steam. But yeah, I need a disc drive for Bootcamp installation, for ripping audio CDs. I could never use iTunes for video. The free videos I have are terrible quality compared to "ancient" DVD tech, and their HD vids are not even worth mentioning in the same breath as Bluray.

I don't want Apple to drop optical, but if they do it'll be another reason for me to switch to a different computer manufacturer. After all when I need optical there's no getting around it - I need optical.

(FWIW my broadband connection is 60mbps. It's great for downloading and uploading huge files, but my clients and work aren't so lucky (especially in America of all places!))

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Great. Now my iMac is obsolete. I wished it stayed current at least a few months more.
Obsolete? You mean your iMac will no longer be useable when an update is announced?

I tend to use my Macs for 3 to 5 years before replacing them. I will admit that when I do the replacement, it will be on an announcement so I have the latest and greatest for at least a few months.

///
I don't want Apple to drop optical, but if they do it'll be another reason for me to switch to a different computer manufacturer. After all when I need optical there's no getting around it - I need optical.
Get a good external optical drive, it will last you through a few Macs.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
Who needs an optical drive? Well.... I do for sure. An all-in-one isn't complete without opitcal drive. As long as there isn't any alternative for files larger than 2 GB this machine is limp.

IMO

I'm with you. The unfortunate thing is that we are in the minority, so we have to settle and buy an external hard drive. :(

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
You can get an external DVD drive, but Apple seems to have decided that the majority of iMac buyers do not need a DVD drive. For me, it takes longer to burn 2GB than it does to upload it, I think.

Oh yeah, you also run the risk of a disc getting stuck in the ridiculous iMac slot-loading optical drive. I had a disc stuck in my 2006 iMac for TWO YEARS. It was trying to eject it constantly. One day, it just popped out.

Exactly. Not only that, but I've had at least two iMac optical drives die of neglect on me! :)

It's something many users only need once or twice a year, and then when you go to use it, it's broken. Think of the repair costs and other issues this brings up for Apple and it's customers and it's sort of a no-brainer to get rid of it, and I'm glad about that, especially when an external can sit in a desk drawer until its needed once or twice a year, and when it breaks, I don't need to take my whole computer in for repair.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
they dont need to update for haswell, because the cpu jump is only 10%. Yes the IRIS pro is a 50% more than HD4000, but imac dont use IGC, yes the battery life is improved FOR NOTEBOOKS/LAPTOPS, so for iMac no need. So only the big jump maybe will be the GPU 780M, but it isn/t worth an presentation if they update. So i think there are just romors and a proper upgrade will be late this year or next year.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
with no optical drive, why buy an iMac?
I bought my daughters mac mini's instead, since there was going to be an external drive no matter what-why pay for the over priced screen and aluminum?
I still use optical drives, on occasion I will watch a DVD on my iMac too. The world may get to zero optical drives-but it isn't there yet. I still have collections of movies not on NetFlix (mostly crap there now) and that I don't want to buy AGAIN.
Also-what stupidity putting the SD card so I have to standup turn the iMac around to put it in?
Hello-McFly-anyone home?
Why buy a $1200+ iMac and then get an ugly a$$ external dangling around?
Yes there are solutions, and fixes, but I won't be paying premium bucks to go out and buy an external to hook up to it.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I bought my daughters mac mini's instead, since there was going to be an external drive no matter what-why pay for the over priced screen and aluminum?
I still use optical drives, on occasion I will watch a DVD on my iMac too. The world may get to zero optical drives-but it isn't there yet. I still have collections of movies not on NetFlix (mostly crap there now) and that I don't want to buy AGAIN.
Also-what stupidity putting the SD card so I have to standup turn the iMac around to put it in?
Hello-McFly-anyone home?

Nope

(typing from an obsolete Mac Pro, ripping an obsolete BluRay, to watch on an obsolete matte 1600p display)

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Hello-McFly-anyone home?
Why buy a $1200+ iMac and then get an ugly a$$ external dangling around?
Yes there are solutions, and fixes, but I won't be paying premium bucks to go out and buy an external to hook up to it.
for better cpu, better graphics cards, more RAM and the screen estate IPS...so?? the price is still

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
for better cpu, better graphics cards, more RAM and the screen estate IPS...so?? the price is still

The screen is glossy, IPS isn't particularly special anymore, the graphics is still mobile so who cares and it just isn't faster enough.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
IPS is the future...macbook retina it is IPS..maybe the next iMAC retina will be IPS...and yes can you compare that HD4000 with 640M/650M/675MX or 680MX?

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
Are people still arguing about the optical drive? It's dead deal with it. Get the USB SuperDrive like everyone else so you can use it twice a year.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I'm with you. The unfortunate thing is that we are in the minority, so we have to settle and buy an external hard drive. :(

Sometimes in order top shake slow aging technology loose, you have to go cold turkey. Usually you end up finding another way quickly and then don't look back. Just sayin . .

mixart

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
IPS is the future...macbook retina it is IPS..maybe the next iMAC retina will be IPS...and yes can you compare that HD4000 with 640M/650M/675MX or 680MX?

The iMac does already use an IPS panel for their 21.5" and 27".

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
Did you ever uploaded a file bigger than 2GB? Takes ages... And I can't ask my clients to download these kind of files.

For professional usage an optical drive is very much appreciated. For old back-ups, input from outside the "apple cloud", fast and cheap sharing of data and no external hardware and/or cables needed.

I understand the choise to leave teh floppy drive because of the alternatives those days. Right now, nothing beats a DVD for me.

Really? I don't know any pros who use optical anymore. Buy an external drive if you must. Thumb Drives are dirt cheap and can purchased in volume personalized with your company's name, etc. Downloading 2+ GB is no longer a problem, households do it every night when then download/stream videos.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
There are still approx 15,000 Black and White TV's in the UK, that's why. Oh wait we should still broadcast in B/W...
The color encoding system for color TV is backwards compatible to the b/w encoding for b/w TV, so that is not the problem. The article is somewhere on wikipedia. :)

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2011
I really hope they hurry up and update to haswell. I'm ready to buy now. :apple:

wilds94

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
:mad: This annoys me. I literally just put an order in for my new imac. Should i cancel the order and wait for the update? I'm not fused about haswell, but a new GPU, if it's going to be a decent update, might be worth it.

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2011
:mad: This annoys me. I literally just put an order in for my new imac. Should i cancel the order and wait for the update? I'm not fused about haswell, but a new GPU, if it's going to be a decent update, might be worth it.

Don't know man. I'm waiting till the end of July just because if I order now and they update, I'll be pissed.

I just wish it wasn't kept such a mystery and we could know when the next update is coming. This crap is freaking stressful. Our hard earned cash is on the line and resale value takes a hit so it's not easy to flip as soon as an update comes along.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.