Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MirrorMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Dublin
Hello Everyone,
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask.This is my first post here although I have been reading the various forums for the last few months.
I have been waiting to switch for as long but I am waiting to see what happens with the iMac. Upgrade or new form(G5)?........And when??
I would be very grateful for your thoughts.

brhmac

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2003
Planet Earth
Wondering the same thing

Was hoping for iMacs today.

At the very least, the iMac should see a bump to the 1.5 Mhz G4. If the 1.5 can go in the PB, it should be able to fit in the iMac.

pjkelnhofer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2003
Boston
MirrorMan said:
Hello Everyone,
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask.This is my first post here although I have been reading the various forums for the last few months.
I have been waiting to switch for as long but I am waiting to see what happens with the iMac. Upgrade or new form(G5)?........And when??

My advice, wait until there is a week without updates. Clearly Apple is in the midst of upgrades right now (eMacs last week, software at NAB, iBooks and PowerBooks yesterday). If they go a week with nothing, I would guess there is nothing else coming until WWDC (June 28th).
If you can wait that long, wait and see what happens. If the iMac is going G5 anytime soon, it will be then (or right after if the PowerMac goes to 3 GHz at WWDC). If you don't want to wait, get an eMac. It is practically the same computer as the 17" iMac (CRT vs. Flat screen, aside), and costs $800 less!!!

pjkelnhofer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2003
Boston
brhmac said:
Was hoping for iMacs today.

At the very least, the iMac should see a bump to the 1.5 Mhz G4. If the 1.5 can go in the PB, it should be able to fit in the iBook.

The iMac nees a lot more that a 250 MHz speed bump to seperate itself from the eMac right now (and justify the $800 price difference!!!).

I am expecting a major overhaul of the iMac line.

MirrorMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Dublin
Nothing this Tuesday

Well there was nothing today.Is there any significance in the fact that there was no update for the iMac after the numerous other updates recently?
Or is it just Apple giving a bit of breathing space first?
I've got butterflies at the moment.So near and yet so far.
I wish there was more discussion on the fate of the iMac because I'm waiting to get the credit card out.

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
I really hope that apple will make the iMac G5, soon and ot give it another G4 revision, cos at the moment it is overpriced and not at all competitive with even other mac computers. But would like to see the new iMac with alot more expandable options, perhaps a PCI slot, AGP Slot. And make it easier to upgrade, i just upgraded my iMac 233mhz and it was a real job to do. So i would like to perhaps see that in the new iMac G5.
I believe that it could be coming at WWDC along with the PowerMac's hopefully. :rolleyes:

3-22

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2002
MirrorMan said:
Hello Everyone,

Check out the Buyer's Guide tab (next to the page 2 rumors) on this site. They do a real nice summary of the current products and life cycle.

Nny

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
pjkelnhofer said:
The iMac nees a lot more that a 250 MHz speed bump to seperate itself from the iMac right now (and justify the $800 price difference!!!).

I am expecting a major overhaul of the iMac line.

$800? Did I miss something? They will just be faster iMacs at the same price as current iMacs. No $800 increase. Or were you trying to compare them to the eMac? I am confused.

Expect a better video card, larger hard drive, FW800, and upgradable to 2 GB RAM for next model... but my bets are still on a G4. G5 by MWSF 2005 for sure.

pjkelnhofer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2003
Boston
Nny said:
$800? Did I miss something? They will just be faster iMacs at the same price as current iMacs. No $800 increase. Or were you trying to compare them to the eMac? I am confused.

Expect a better video card, larger hard drive, FW800, and upgradable to 2 GB RAM for next model... but my bets are still on a G4. G5 by MWSF 2005 for sure.

Oops that second iMac should have been eMac. I will fix the original post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.