iMac upgrade??

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by sjestus, Feb 8, 2003.

1. sjestus macrumors member

Oct 15, 2001
    hey, i have an iMac DV SE 500 graphite w/640mb of ram.... and i'm wonderin if there is a processor upgrade like there is for the cube and everything.... atleast some kinda g4 upgrade... i'm getting sick of this thing goin soooo slow now, i want it atleast a little faster, thanx for your help :-D
  2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    i think the original imacs were the only ones to be upgradeable in such a way... there was a little slot that apple never went public about because of heat issues but 3rd party cards came out. anymore, if you want a faster imac, you have to go buy one, i think--

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    Well, you are sort of right.

The first 2 iMacs (both 233 mhz) had a mezzanine slot (modified PCI slot used only for testing purposes that just wasn't removed for production). Some upgrades were made for this that included a scsi card, voodoo II graphics card, and some others. No processor upgrade was ever developed for this slot.

All tray loading iMacs (233-333 mhz) have the processor on a separate daughter card whcih can be replaced. Several companies have made upgrades for it, included one by sonnet that also ads firewire.

No slot loading iMac can be upgraded as there is no separate daughter card. The processor is soldered to the logic board.
  4. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2002
    bat country
    we slot-loading imac users kind of got the shaft as far as upgrades are concerned. i'm sure that it's possible to produce an upgrade logic board, but it would require a processor and graphics card chipset, as all of that is soldered on to the origional board. this would undoubtedly cost a pretty penny since you are buying three components rather than one. such an upgrade may also cause issues with installed ram, as bus timing and things like that would become a problem.