iMac v.s. PowerMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yg17, Sep 17, 2004.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm really torn between which to get...I'll be using it for web surfing, some light photoshop stuff and I'm majoring in computer science, so some c++ programming (most of it being done in the terminal). I wont be doing any extreme video editing. It would be between a dual 1.8 powermac or the 1.8 iMac (probably 17 inch due to lack of desk space). Im leaning towards the iMac because I can get so much more for less. Hell, right now my G3 iBook is able to handle everything I've mentioned so far, so Im thinking a powermac will be too much. Will I notice that much of a difference with only 1 processor and the slower bus speed? thanks

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

For the work you describe the 17" 1.8 iMac sounds a better choice over a dual 1.8 PM (+ the cost of a screen). The 17" 1.8 is such good value, and seeing as you don't need a huge amount of power it would be your best choice IMO.

3. coconn06 macrumors regular

I don't see any reason to get the dual PM (as great as they are) over an iMac. I'm in a somewhat similar position, and the cost + power of the iMac just can't be beat.

You'll be more than happy with the iMac.

p.s. I did all the things you mentioned through college with a 500 MHz iBook, and did them well. But I can't wait to upgrade!

4. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

For what you are doing you should bump the screen up to 20" and buy some RAM for the G5 iMac. It would still be cheaper than a G5 PowerMac and Display. My wife works with Photoshop a lot and it seems like you can always use a bigger screen.

5. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I want the 20 inch, but my 15 inch LCD I have right now is a tight fit on my tiny dorm room desk. Im still unsure though, I may get the 20 and take the hutch thing off my desk if needed.

6. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

you said that with the iMac you get "so much more for less"??? no, you get a little less for less...the specs may match up okay with the stock stuff, but in the long run, you may end up paying more because of the reduced ability of the iMac for upgrades...yes, the iMac is very upgradeable, but still, you can only fit one internal HD, only 2GB ram, can't change the graphics card, and all add-ons must be external w/out the PCI slots...

i'm not saying that the iMac isn't a great buy...i think it looks terrific and i almost bought one (went with the PM 2.0 for the very reasons above)...but the PM will last years longer than the iMac...and that may be worth the extra dough up front. just my 2 cents...

7. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Sounds like your usage points to the iMac, but go for the 20". More screen real estate is always a plus with PS.