iMac Video Input from TV/DVR

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sonicflame, Jul 26, 2006.

1. sonicflame macrumors newbie

I'm so excited- I just ordered my first iMac (20" Intel version) this morning (this is also my first Mac computer of any kind)! I'm using it primarily for video editing, but I'd also like to be able to watch TV on it. It's going to take the place of a cruddy 13" TV in a rec room. The TV is currently hooked up to my ReplayTV, which in turn is hooked to my DirecTV satellite receiver.

Would someone mind recommending a good video input device for the iMac?Since I already have a ReplayTV (actually a pair of them), I don't really need DVR capability. The RTV also functions as my tuner, so I don't even need the device to have tuner capability. I also don't need video capture, as I use a MiniDV camcorder which also functions as an analog/digital bridge if I want to capture from analog sources (I just don't want to use the camcorder as a bridge *all* the time just for watching TV). I guess I just need something to convert the signal to USB. Any ideas?

2. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

www.elgato.com

There are not many others... I can't even think of any off the top of my head.

3. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I have been look for the same kind of thing. I want to record off my TiVo (a friend was on TV and I TiVoed it) and want to put it on my Mac and then edit it a bit then burn to DVD.

Have you used the EyeTV EZ? CAn you capture record video well. I know since it does not encode itself (the computer does) it says it can be taxing on your system, but I am not going to be using it enough to justify the more expensive one.

Dazzle makes products like this. All the ones that they sell on their website say XP required. But they made a product that wrk with Macs via Firewire.