imac video ram weak?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mac-daddy, Feb 5, 2005.

1. mac-daddy macrumors newbie

Feb 4, 2005
    Anyone out there enlighten me as to the functionality of the iMac for video editing. It seems to me that for such a sweet and fast machine, the video ram is weak at only 64mb. Also it isn't upgradeable, unlike every other mac product which offers the option to upgrade video ram. I don't think it is enough for now or the future. Am I wrong? I hope so. What experiences are there out there in the mac ether?
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Yes it is upgradeable, sell your machine and buy a new one.

If you want an expandable iMac G5 -- you have to buy the current Single Processor PowerMac G5 (which "IS" the iMac G5 architecture in the PowerMac case.)
  3. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Apr 25, 2004
    VRAM has little or nothing to do with video editing. Instead, a fast processor, a ton of RAM and a fast HDD will do wonders compared to having more VRAM.
  4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Actually, most Apple machines do NOT have upgradable video RAM. Only the PowerMac line has an upgradable video card. The iMac, eMac, Mac Mini, iBook, nor PowerBooks machines have uprgadable VRAM (or GPUs at all). So only 1 of 6 Mac lines have an upgradable video sub-system.

As mentioned above, VRAM isn't going to affect video editing as much as hard drive speed, CPU speed, and available system memory. From that stand point the iMac is a pretty decent video machine, for home use, as long asyou install at least a gig of RAM. 2gbs if you can afford it.

There will be some future upgrades that will use the GPU and VRAM for some video work, like Motion does now, as the Core Video APIs in Tiger begin to be utilized, but it still won't affect performance as much as the other things mentioned. And the video subsystem in the iMac isn't THAT bad. It's the same thing offered in all but the top of the line PowerMac, it's leaps better than what you will get in a base Dell or Gateway computer, and is at least as good as what has been in the iMacs, PowerBooks, and PowerMacs that people have been using to edit video for years.