imac vs. ibook which will hold more value

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by IllTakeAnApple, Aug 3, 2005.

1. IllTakeAnApple macrumors member

Jul 13, 2005
    San Antonio, Tx
    a year from now? I was planning on getting a laptop it wont be necessary this year but a year from now ill really need to use it. So under the watchful eye of intel im a little scared to by their first issued laptops next year so im debating if i should get a ibook or iMac. Then depending on the imacs resale value i can sell it next year and get myself a laptop instead of waiting a year to get my first mac because man i just cant go that long without one!!! oh and it will be my first.
  2. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2005
    Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
    Generally, notebooks hold their value better than desktops. My theory is that no matter how dated the innards are on a laptop, you still have a portable, self-contained computer.

With your timeframe though, I'm thinking you could probably get about 70% or more back on your iMac. I would imagine they'll only see one more speed bump between now and then (prior to going intel), so yours will be far from obsolete.

I'm sure I don't need to mention you'll be dealing with a pretty much brand new line of notebooks next year, rev AAAAAAA. They WILL have bugs, but if you've got patience you can return as many defective ones as you want while apple perfects them (can't take longer than a year, right?). Anyway, good luck!