iMac vs. Mac mini w/ 20'' display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by The_Shocker, May 11, 2005.

1. The_Shocker macrumors newbie

Mar 23, 2005
    Atlantic City, New Jersey
    I ran into a problem I needed some advice on. After deciding to go with 20'' display with the mac mini I thought I should just go with a iMac 17'' I dont like the way iMacs look but I will get more power and it will be $100 cheaper for me. I dont know what to do. i really dont like the style of the iMac I rather have a 20'' display on my desk with a mac mini (but it would be less power and more money).

Thanks once again for your help!
  2. sammyman macrumors 6502a

Mar 21, 2005
    The iMac is a much better value. Also, both the mac mini and the iMac are not very upgradable. However, I think even though you may get the 20" screen, the iMac 17" is the way to go.
  3. berol macrumors member

Apr 27, 2005
    I'd stay away from the mini until they Tigerize it in a rumored 2 months.
  4. Etrain macrumors 6502

Feb 26, 2005
    Land of Cleve
    Wow Dejavu!

I was also deciding between the iMac and the mini. In fact, I actually bought a Dell 20" widescreen monitor which I loved, but after the iMac update I jumped on that bandwagon.

Both machines seem to run the basic stuff at almost the same speed. I tested both at the Apple store in Cleveland and honestly couldn't tell a difference in speed with basic things like Firefox, Word, Photoshop, etc. If you plan on playing games or any type of intensive editing, it seems the iMac will be your best bet of the two. Also consider how long you want to keep your machine. An iMac should outlast a mini because of it's superior technology.

When thinking about which computer to get, think about what you do now, but also think about what you might want to do within say 2-3 years. Any movie creation, etc.

Although looks shouldn't necessarily be a major factor, remember you will be staring at the machine you choose for some time.

I would suggest looking into the Dell FPW2005. It is truly a brilliant display for cheap -- around $500.

One last thing -- are you a student? Apple is currently running a promo which entitles students to receive an extra $100 off the iMac in addition to the original EDU discount. Might be something to consider, again if you are a student.

Hope that helps somewhat. :D
  5. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2005
    Northern California
    A question you have to ask yourself is how long do you want to keep this computer? If you are planning on upgrading in the next year or two then the Mini will suit you just fine, as you can just put the Mini on eBay and then get a Power Mac for the 20 inch screen. If you are looking for a more long term option then you should get the iMac, as the G5 will last longer term.

Edit: Sorry, I repeated some of the stuff that etrain already said.
  6. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    The iMac is definitely better value, and with a better processor and a vastly better graphics card, the performance is much better than a mini.

BUT... Personally I don't like all-in-one's much. The 20" displays are sweet, and looks better than the iMac's display. And you can easily keep it and sell the mini and get a new machine down the road, instead of swapping the whole thing when you want to upgrade. So in the long run you MIGHT save money by already having an awesome display, and only having to get a new machine (be it a mini or, dare I say it, a PowerMac).

But yes, right now the iMac is a much better value, plus it can display the ripple effect in Tiger! :)