iMac vs MacBook Pro for Photography

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Terri French, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Terri French macrumors newbie

I am considering purchasing a new computer. I was all set to order an iMac when I started thinking about the advantages of a laptop computer. The Macbook Pro 17" is close in price to the 24" iMac that I was going to order.

Do you think it is a good solution to get a laptop to work on and then eventually get a second monitor and an external hard disk to attach to it at home?

I would like to know how others who are using this solution find the capabilities of the MacBook Pro for photo editing--mainly using Photoshop CS2 and Capture NX.

If you have attached a monitor to it, which one are you using and how is this working out for you?

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I've got a 12" PB with a 19" Sceptre widescreen monitor. I probably only take the PB out of the house once or maybe twice a week but when I do I really appreciate the portability.

I'm doing a family photo book now and having two screens to work with is incredible.

If portability is important, then go for the Macbook Pro.

3. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I'd buy a 15" MBP, and an external monitor, for photography.

oh wait... I did that. :)

4. kjr39 macrumors 6502

For me, the MBP with an external monitor is the way to go.

5. islandman macrumors 6502

I recommend the MBP and the external monitor. Having the portability is awesome when you need it.

6. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i have a mbp 17 + dell 1907FPS... i wish i have a bigger external, but the 17 incher has really nice screen space for photo editing, significant compare to 15

7. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

15 inch MB Pro all the way with a monitor. The 17 offers no advantage other than faster hard drive. If you hook the same monitor to the 15/17 you will not see the difference in the laptop. If you need to travel the 15 inch is great but still too big in some cases to be easy to lug around. I travel around the world with mine shooting photos and wish I had the MB pro in a 12 inch format.

8. JohnMC macrumors 6502

I just ordered a 15" MBP last night for photography and videography (sp?), and I plan to order a 20 or 23 inch cinema display in the next couple of weeks to go with it. The size of the 15" is great. Just be sure to pay the extra $100 for the 160GB HDD.

JohnMC

9. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I got the 24" and it´s a great machine with a great screen. I already had an ibook, and as people say, you don´t take your laptop out that often, so the ibook is sufficient for me as a portable. I think in your situation I´d go for the MBP.

It´s cheaper to upgrade to a desktop a few years down the line, and then your MBP will still work great as a portable + you got yourself a much faster computer at home.

That´s the way I went, and recommend it

10. Terri French thread starter macrumors newbie

Great feedback here

Thanks so much to all of you. I am hoping to make it to an Apple Store in a couple of weeks to check out the options for myself.