iMac vs. new PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kangaroo, Sep 17, 2003.

1. kangaroo macrumors regular

Aside from the PB's portability, is there an argument to be made for the iMac over the new PB or vice versa? Thanks.

2. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

It should be pretty evident.

I find the G4 Powerbook doesn't have any significant speed drawbacks over the desktop. (like PC laptops do)

So pick portable and pricey or on a desk with more bells and whistles.

3. Manimac macrumors newbie

I'm debating the same thing right now between iMac and new Powerbook. In particular, I'm looking at the 17" iMac vs. 15" PB superdrive models since I want to be able to make and burn DVD with iMovie/iDVD.

Here is what I see as the pros for each side:

iMac:
    - cheaper (for computer and for Applecare)
    - bigger screen (than 15" PB)
    - larger available hard drive (up to 160GB)
    - faster DVD burner (4x vs. 2x)
    - desktop keyboard (with numeric pad - nice for spreadsheets)
    - speakers (better than laptop built in)
    - coolness factor - the screen mechanism is nice & design matches iPods

Powerbook:
    - smaller / portable
    - more expandable memory (2Gb vs 1GB) and more accessible (iMac has one slot that is not user accessible)
    - AE & BT built-in (vs. BTO options on iMac)
    - connections - FW800/Gigabit Ethernet/PC card - may be useful, not sure yet
    - coolness factor - those backlit keys and apple logo are nice and it is the "year of the notebook"

I hope that helps some. I'm not sure which way I'll go either. I would be interested what others think.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

throw this in there: the powerbook uses the 7457 processor with 512k L2 cache while the imac uses the 7455 processor with 256k cache.

I'd go powerbook, but that's just me.

5. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

I would get the imac if you dont have enough money. Powerbooks are expensive especially the nicer ones

6. kangaroo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the posts, especially Manimac for breaking out the key distinctions--that's just what I was looking for.

I had an 800 MHz iMac back in January for about a week and returned it because of its apparent slowness and its <IMHO> relatively poor screen.

I've been using a 400 MHz Dell and I've been looking to switch for awhile now. I expected the iMac to be ~twice as fast, but to my surprise, although adequate, seemed slower in many instances. Also, although some are very happy with their iMac displays, I found it wreaked havoc with my eyes. After returning it to the Apple store, I discovered that the stand-alone displays were superior in all aspects from viewing angle to color, clarity, etc. (I assumed all Apple displays were equivalent ).:eek:

I, like many on this forum, find myself w a i t i n g for the next best release--looking for that magic bullet. I think a G5 iMac with a higher quality 19" display would've done it for me. But...

In terms of space/cost I'd prefer staying in the PB/iMac zone but my logic tells me that a G5 PM w/large display will keep me ahead of the Mac power curve and give my eyes a break.

7. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Remember the Panther will speed things up too...

8. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

I don't know.. I'm in the buying stage at the moment -- waiting for my bonus from work so I can get the 12" PB. I didn't find it difficult at all to select this model over the iMac, which I also briefly considered.

It all comes down to what you need. Do you need portability? Or do you not?