imac vs. powerbook for graphics and gaming

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by msugarpants, Jan 4, 2005.

1. msugarpants macrumors member

I am a soon to be mac convert. I am just wondering if anyone knows of third party outfitters that can upgrade the graphics card in the iMac. Also, how would the imac, with the 64mb and G5 compare to the powerbooks that have 128mb if i want to do some gaming. i have read some related threads and found the infor helpful, but not as precise as i was hoping for. Finally, i read on somewhere that the new PB 15 inch may have 128mb standard graphics, and a 200$ price drop...does that seem right? How long before an upgrade to imac for a 128mb card do you suppose. thank you to whoever responds.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

MacWorld San Francisco is right around the corner (next week) - I recommend waiting until then to see what announcements are made, then trying to determine what your best option would be.

3. msugarpants thread starter macrumors member

I plan on doing that, thank you. Meanwhile, some of the questions about comparing graphics can hopefully be addressed.

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

The iMac GPU is non upgradable. The only PBs that can be upgraded to the 128mb card are about 2x the cost of an iMac. The PB on the other hand is portable.

The iMac and the PB aren't really comparable machines, imo. Ones a desktop, ones a laptop. One is sub $2000 the other can be $3000 and up easy. For games it depends on what kind of games you like. The 9700 in the PBs is better for GPU limited games (FPS type games), where the G5 is better for CPU limited games (RTS type games).

All in all, the choice is a tough one for lots of reasons.

Rob

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Graphics on all imacs is soldered in video from years ago. nothing you can do about it. you want to game and enjoy it avoid anything with FX5200 in it. The Powerbook has better video then the $20 fx5200 apple is pushing everywhere it goes. Sad a company who prides itself on photo's and movies has not a clue what new 3d games need. Its like saying Tv and computers dont go together. Some idiot at Apple said something to this effect and look at all the computer companies now. Except for our think different boys at Apple they all are integrating video with computer with new home theater systems design around the.......Mr Jobs you listening?......thats right TV!

6. msugarpants thread starter macrumors member

Thanks donthurtem and mr. green. seems like the best option is really the power mac. BUT with the imac, you have that beautiful 1000 dollar screen built right into it! With the powermac, no screen unless i am willing to shell out another grand or a few hundred for one other than mac. i guess the imac (20 inch) is 1000 worth of screen and 1000 worth of hardware / software. Mr. green, forgive me.. i know FPS but what are RTS games? i dont DO a lot of gaming, but i want to do more. I can hardly do much on my 5 year old gateway running wind-oh ohs ME.