iMac vs PowerMac vs Wait for new ones

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by T-Force, Mar 1, 2004.

1. T-Force macrumors newbie

OK now I'm tired!!! My 333 is now slower than a turtle and even for word processing it is quite slow (specialy when I insert pictures onto the documents).
    So i'm looking for a new computer, I plan to use Photoshop (not heavy work just some 300mb pics), Dreamweaver, Fireworks, rip DVDs and CDs, and the usual iStuff. However I can't decide for an iMac 1.25 2 Gb Ram (1999€ + 400€) 160 hard drive or for an PowerMac 1.6 (2000€ + 120€ + monitor)512 Ram 160 hard drive or to wait for th next big thing.

Note: I live in europe so the prices my look somewhat high.

2. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

PowerMac needs at least a Gig but would whip the iMac big time due to better processor, bus etc. If you can wait then you may see new G5s which should precipitate a price drop for the likes of the 1.6. It maybe June though before this happens...

3. Macnasien macrumors newbie

Macnasien

You should wait until Rev.B G5 !!!

I totaly agree with T-Force,

you should wait until the Rev.B G5s have been introduced.They won't have any problems and will be like the PowerBooks Rev. B a outstanding maschine. Buy an G5 and you won't regreat, it outperformed the iMac many times ;),because of everything in this silver shining Alucase :D.

greez

macnasien

4. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Well, I want a G5 badly but don't want the beast that is the PM. Money is not a problem for me but the PM is huge and takes up too much space. Can't say that I haven't been tempted to buy a PM with all the great deals around now.

As beautiful as the current iMac is, I can't recommend anyone buy it. It is based on quite old technology (G4, slow bus, lower end video). Ask yourself this, can I live with the older technlogy for quite some time as it not upgradeable?

My advice, wait a bit. I suspect that when the speed bumped PMs are announced, a G5 iMac will also be announced.

5. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

And the new G5 Cube as well :)

6. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I'd have to go with the concensus. Steve Jobs publically stated there would be quality product announcements later in the 20th Mac anniversary year, and we are all expecting something soon. When it does happen I can't think that with stuff like the advances of 90nm chips from IBM and the promise to go 3.0mhz by this summer, that the flagship Powermac line will go without a seriously good upgrade.

If I had the room for a G5 in my budget, I'd wait for the upgrade and buy one.

7. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

I agree with the other posters, if you can afford to wait, do so, its always best to buy after a new release so you don't feel robbed.

If you need it now, I'd go with the PowerMac, its just has so much more longevity in it. The front side buses on the G4 machines is just too much of a bottleneck.

8. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I'd snatch up one of those in an instant (IMO, much better to have separate CPU and monitor) but I don't see Apple trying the cube again. One of Jobs biggest failures.

9. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

And we haven't seen any products yet. This is making me very angry. All of Apple's consumer line is in a dreadful need of an update! (venting)

The 20 inch iMac is soooooo amazing. It just needs a brain to match its brauns. (I think that's how you spell it)

10. Opteron macrumors 6502

The G5 1.8DP is the bast bang for your buck (euro,) with a third party monitor (I'd go a 19" Flat CRT,)

I mac has more drwbacks than I care to list. Though I'd want to see a second optical drive in the PM before I handed over any cash.