Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
I am getting a mac very soon (March or so)....I am aiming for what ever is the lower line Powermac with a superdrive and get a formac 1740 display when I have the money or a 1Ghz iMac if they come out. I will upgrade either one to 1GB ram and add 120GB hard drive(firewire for the iMac).

What do you guys think will be better for Final Cut Pro 3 (or 4 if it comes out soon)?
Also, what will give me most for my money in your opinion?

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I'm going to hold off commenting until after the keynote. And any tips you get before then should be considered knowing that they may be irrelevant after about 10:00 on the 7th :)

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
A PowerMac will always have more longevity, better expandability, and be the best machine for production work. You can add/change monitors, have more RAM, and upgrade processors.

An iMac is less expensive, and more friendly (everything in one box, better looking, etc.).

If you buy a PowerMac from Apple, don't get the SuperDrive from them, as a A05 (Pioneer's 4x is $252 retail, and the new Pmacs allow two).

Also, this is the best ratio of pixels for $$$ right now:
20 in LCD, 1600 x 1200 (more space than a 22" Cinema), $899

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4105

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Get a Power Mac, if you already have a computer and monitor - you can always reuse the HDs, monitor, etc. and not spend money on these on the front end.

If you can see yourself needing or wanting to upgrade the video card, monitors, CPU, etc. in the next couple years get the Power Mac - unless you like the idea of selling your computer and buying a new one to upgrade.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
i would much rather sell the computer after a year and half or so...i am also going to try to get a powerbook down the road late this year...desktop is my number one priority right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.