iMac vs. PowerMac

Discussion in 'Community' started by vouder17, May 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors 6502a

vouder17

I need help , i own at the moment the 233mhz iMac , it is really old and i am thinking of an upgrade , but i don't know what to choose; should i spend more but get expandibilty with the PowerMac, or spend less and get a perfect computer but most probably not last as long as the PowerMac and go for the iMac.
    I am not a person that needs a superfast computer , but it is just that with this iMac i have now , i have no more space on it to even upgrade to OS X, and i am afraid that if buy the iMac that in 5 years or so i will have the same problem that i have now or perhaps another problem such as slow processor etc. . If i were to buy the PowerMac then it would most probably last ALOT longer.

Oh another question will the PPC 970 cost more than the current G4?

2. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

if you want your computer to be not so outdated in a couple of years wait for the 970...or a 970 imac..

3. macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I had the same dilemma a few months ago. I went with the PowerMac. Main reason was it was upgradeable and the iMac was not (I like to keep my machines a long, long time). Also, I figured my very young children could use it in a few years and I could get something else. They would be less apt to break the CRT monitor than the LCD.

4. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Duplicate Thread?

:confused:

Hmmm...

I don't see my reply here, so there must be at least one OTHER duplicate thread. :rolleyes:

or the Mods deleted my post. ;)

5. macrumors P6

wdlove

I would most certainly agree that you should wait for the 970! If money is not an issue get the Power Mac with the 23" Cinema Display! Then you will have great expandibilty, and able to enjoy DVD's! ;)

6. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

If you are going to get a PowerMac, then I would definitley wait for the 970. If you were to buy a 970 PowerMac, I think it would last you a long time.

7. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I moved this thread earlier yesterday...

refer to it in the Hardware Discussion... :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.